1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A
In June of 1861, a group of young men from the Eastern Shore, Baltimore City, and Southern Maryland formed a volunteer company of cavalry, furnishing their own horses. The commanding officer was to be Lieutenant Walter Hanson Jenifer of Charles County, a West Point student, who like many resigned his commission in the U.S Army to join against Northern Aggression. While waiting at Fredericksburg for Jenifer to arrive, R. Snowden Andrews and a group of Marylanders arrived and suggested forming an Artillery Battery. This was accepted and Andrews became the Captain and William F. Dement the First Lieutenant. They enlisted 145 men into what was called the First Maryland Flying Artillery.
The 1st Maryland was mustered into service in Richmond, VA on July 10, 1861 as the First Maryland Artillery. The group procured Four (4) Napoleons and Four (4) Parrots from Governor Letcher of Virginia.
For the complete history of the battery, click the Battles and Actions link, below.
Page and Contents © Copyrighted to Owner and the 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A