America's Teens today are having more problems today than they have in a long time. It is vital that through good communication and good role models that today's teens receive the stability that we deserve.
What compelled me was the information that I found while casually searching the internet. I found out that:
-IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS-
- 1,349 teens will attempt suicide
- 2,795 teenage girls will become pregnant
- 15,006 teens will use drugs for the first time
- 3,506 teens will run away
- *Information based on national averages*
I have also found out that "Over fifty percent of all teens use alcohol or drugs. Teens now account for over a fourth of all Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Truancy and violence by teens have increased tremendously."(source: http://www.vpp.com/teenhelp/)
Also, the following facts were uncovered as I searched for more information about the problems facing America's teens:
-ALCOHOL RELATED FACTS-
- 80 percent of teenagers do not know that a can of beer has the same amount of alcohol as a shot of whiskey or a glass of wine (I knew that one!).
- Overall, about two out of every five motor vehicle fatalities of persons age 15-20 involve alcohol.
- In 1990, about 21 billion miles were driven drunk.
- The number of 15-19 year olds who were killed in alcohol-related crashes dropped from 26.3 percent in 1983 to 12 percent in 1994 -- the largest decrease of any age group (wonderful to hear!!!)!
- *Source: http://www.takeastand.org/aboutus.html#some*-Teenage Suicide-
Statistics show that suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among those 15 to 25 years of age. 500,000 teenagers aged 15 to 25 try to kill themselves every year, and 5000 teenagers each year succeed. In the United States more people kill themselves than are killed by other people.(source: http://www.inmyheart.com/causesuicide.html)