Site hosted by Build your free website today!



Jellybean Jar


Rev. Stephen Bachiler was born about 1561 in England. It is said, but not likely, that he died about 1660, Hackney, London, England. He was Matriculated from St. John's College, Oxford on November 17, 1581 with a B.A. Februar 3, 1586\7, he was the vicar at Wherwell, Hants, July 17, 1587 until deposed in 1605, but he was living there in 1614. Of South Stoneham, Co., Hants in 1631, he was licensed to visit his children in Holland, but having taken up with the company of merchant adventurers called the "Plough Company". He came to New England, arriving at Boston on the "William and Francis" June 5, 1632, age 71. He preached at Lynn the first year and was made Freeman there in 1635; of Ipswich in 1636 and Yarmouth in 1637, falling settlement at both; Newbury in 1638. In 1638-39 he was the leader in the settlements of Hampton, N.H. and is said to have named the town; excommunicated there; but restored. In 1641 he was 'umpire' in an important reference case in Maine. In 1644 he was called to Exeter, but was prohibited from preaching there by the General Court. April 20, 1647, he was lated of Hampton now of Strawberry Bank.

His first wife may have been a Bate, a relative to Rev. John Bate, vicar at Wherwell, who called Stephen, Jr. "cousin"; he married (2) Mar 2, 1723\4 Christian Weare, widow, at Abbots- Ann, England. He married (3) Helena Mason, widow, Mar 26 1627. She was 48 in 1631 and died before May 3, 1647. When i n Portsmouth, N.H. as he wrote, assigned "a honest neighbor (a widow)" to help care for his family. He married (4) unhappily the widow, Mary Beedle of Kittery, MA., with whom in 1650 he was ordered to live. The same year he was charged with marrying without bans. On October 16, 1651 his wife, Mary, and George Rogers were onvicted of adultry and whipped for the crime; on October 14, 1652 she was presented for entertaining idle people on the Sabbath. She asked for a divorce October 18, 1656, alleging that he had gone to England many years since and married again, leaving herself and two invalid children destitute on her hands. The date of his return to England is unknown, his power of attorney to Christopher Hussey was approved by Hampton Court in November of 1654.

Ref: Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire- Noyes, Libby, Davis-reprint 1983, pg. 81-82.



Minnie was the daughter of Robert Augusta and Mary Amanda Lewis Mclain. She came into this world on March 5, 1909 weighing in at only 3 pounds. The midwife was concerned about the small baby so she held her wrapped in a blanket in front of the cookstove for three days and nights to keep her warm. After the three days the midwife brought the baby Minnie to lay by her mother's side and said "I think your baby is going to live."

Minnie grew up on a farm in Ava, Douglas County, Missouri. they raised everything they ate. Minnie worked very hard on the farm and had no time for play. they milked eight to ten cows every morning. Her special job was to help separate the cream.

They did not have an ice box then so they kept their parishable foods in the springhouse where fresh spring water ran over a bed of concrete.

When Minnie was a young girl she was a tomboy. She liked to catch tadpoles in the pond with Charles McCullough. She did not like Charles and his white hair when she first met him. The first time she went out with Charles was because he had a car.

Minnie and Charles dated for a year and a half before they were finally married September 9, 1927 by a Baptist Preacher/school teacher in Mt. Zion, Missouri. Their first home was a two room railroad car in Springfield, Missouri. They moved there in 1930. After a while Thomas McCullough, Charles' father, built a kitchen and a porch on to their home. As their home was being remodeled Minnie and Charles stayed with his folks, Tom and Lola, at the old Ellison Family Farm in Beaver Creek, Missouri.

Minnie and Charles were blessed with their first child on April 17, 1930. They named him Charles Dwain McCullough. Three years later they had Dearl Eugene McCullough. While Minnie was nursing Dearl she unfortunately had a miscarriage. After Dearl was born they finally added an indoor bathroom to their home.

They moved to Twin Falls, Idaho in 1948 because Charles had terrible headaches, and they seemed to get better in Idaho. Minnie lost her husband in 1963 to cancer. She lived long enough to enjoy seven grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren before she died in 1995.

Note: I wrote this history about Grandma Minnie after sitting down one day with her and talking about her past. This was all she told me.




More on: minnie and charles
Page transferred by Go FTP FREE Program