This is a quiz that was passed on to me, now I'm passing it on to you. This quiz will put you back in touch with your roots, and test your knowledge of Southern history and culture. Grab a piece of paper and see how much you know about your home. This is a hard quiz, so don't beat yourself up to badly if you don't score highly. Are you ready? Let's go!
BASIC LEVEL (2 POINTS EACH)
1. What was the name of Robert E. Lee's home?
2. What is the main product made by the Chattanooga Baking Company?
3. On "The Andy Griffith Show", who was Andy's girlfriend?
4. What was the name of Robert E. Lee's army?
5. What was the number of Richard Petty's race car?
6. At which college did Bear Bryant coach?
7. Where did Herschel Walker attend college?
8. What year did the last Confederate veteran die?
9. What state was George Wallace the governor of?
10. What is a "Yellow Dog Democrat"?
ADVANCED LEVEL (3 POINTS EACH)
11. George Pickett only commanded 1 division out of the 3 that made Pickett's Charge. Name at least one of the other 2 generals.
12. Who wrote the song "Dixie"?
13. What was Stonewall Jackson's last battle?
14. Who was Lee's second in command?
15. Who played Aunt Bea on "The Andy Griffith Show"?
16. What was "Jeb" Stuart's real name?
17. Where was Coca-Cola invented?
18. What is the only vegetable which has a higher sugar content than Coca-Cola?
19. Which is correct grammar - "Grits is" or "Grits are"?
20. Who played Scarlett O'Hara?
21. Where is Robert E. Lee buried?
MASTER LEVEL (5 POINTS EACH)
22. Who portrayed Mammy in "Gone With The Wind"?
23. Which state provided the most troops to the Confederacy?
24. Who is the longest-serving Senator in U.S. history?
25. Which Confederate regiment suffered the highest casualty rate of the war?
26. Where are the remains of Traveller, Robert E. Lee's horse?
27. Who wrote "The Sound and the Fury"?
28. What is "cracklin'" cornbread?
29. Which president was NOT Southern: George Washington, James Madison, William McKinley, or Woodrow Wilson?
30. Who wrote (of Gettysburg) "The one thing all Southerners have is the ability to go back to that July morning before the charge...and dream of the way things might have been if only..."?
BONUS QUESTION (2 POINTS)
Which of these NFL teams is located in the South: Titans or Patriots?
2. Moon pies
3. Helen Crump
4. The Army of Northern Virginia
5. Number 43
6. University of Alabama
7. University of Georgia
10. Someone who would vote for a yellow dog rather than vote for a republican
11. Johnson Pettygrew and Richard Tremble
12. Daniel Emmett, a Yankee!
14. Lt. General James Longstreet
15. Frances Bavier
16. James Ewell Brown Stuart
18. The Vidalia onion
19. Grits is
20. Vivian Leigh
21. Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA
22. Hattie McDaniel
23. North Carolina
24. Strom Thurman
25. The 26th North Carolina Infantry (90%)
26. Buried in the rose garden behind Lee's tomb
27. William Faulkner
28. Cornbread made with bits of fried pork skin in it
29. McKinley was from Ohio
30. William Faulkner
Bonus - Tennessee Titans
SCORING 90-100: You are Robert E. Lee re-incarnated!
80-89: Way to go Beauregard!
70-79: A true Southerner
60-69: Still a true Southerner, but a might forgetful
50-59: A respectable score; this is a hard quiz
40-49: Put down the remote and read Faulkner tonight
30-39: Enroll in remedial Mayberry re-runs
20-29: As Gomer used to say, "Shame, Shame, Shame"
Below 20: What part of New Jersey did you say you were from?