In The Making


This will become a 10-String Cittern. I always begin with the sides. The sides are Black Walnut. I cut, sanded, heated, bent and clamped the sides in the form and allowed them to dry. Once dry I glued the head block, tail block, and kerfing. After the glue dried, I sanded for a smooth gluing surface for the top and back. The back is Black Walnut with Flamed Maple Strips. And the top is Western Red Cedar. I book matched the top and back, sanded to thickness, cut to shape, and braced both. I apply a finish to the inside of my instruments, as well as the outside. This instrument is equipped with 2 Piezo pickups that are hard glued to the inside of the top. I glued the top on with the use of spool and cam clamps. Once dry the back was glued on in like manner. After the glue has dried I remove the body from the form, router for the neck and binding, and glue in the binding.

The neck is Black Walnut and in the primitiveness of my shop I shape necks with a rasp. The fret board is Rosewood, as is the bridge. I make all of my own fret boards and cut the fret grooves one at a time, just to see if I still can. The neck is routered and fitted with an adjustable truss rod. With the neck and fret board complete I glued the 2 together.

With the body and neck assembly complete, I gave it a final sanding, and got it down to the paint house, and sprayed the finish. After applying the finish, I let the instrument hang and cure for a week, and then made final assembly. This instrument has a floating bridge and tailpiece instead of a fixed bridge.