Behind the scenes and Movie Trivia!
Here are some photos I recently found of the premiere of "Lolita"
Here's a nice montage of Sue...
- Shelley Winters found Peter Sellers and James Mason to be with strangest actors she'd ever worked with.James was very aloof and technical, and she often felt terribly frustrated doing a scene with him.
- Peter Sellers seemed to be on a different planet and she never could connect with him.
- Shelley Winters couldn't do the wedding night scene!Kubrick wanted her to sit on the bed, drop the robe with her back to the camera, hold the cover up and get into bed with James Mason.If she did it properly, nothing would be shown, except her bare back.
She couldn't do it, fell out of bed, pushed James Mason out of the other side of the bed, tore the robe, hit the mike with her head, got her lines mixed up and broke James's glasses!Eventually, they let her keep the robe on!
- Mary Noble, who was cast as Clare Quilty's mysterious friend, never really understood her role.She was sort of Peter Seller's alter ego,also his mistress, or his procurer.She never questioned Kubrick about her motivations-british manners.
- Elizabeth Taylor presented Shelley Winters daughter with 2 pink persian kittens for christmas that year.She paid about $800 a piece for them, and Shelley couldn't stand them.She ended up giving them to Sue Lyon when the film was completed and Shelley's daughter was heartbroken.
- In the 70's, Sue said that "Lolita" had ruined her life.Like many people, she felt that Kubrick had merely used her.
- During Lolita, Sue went horse-back riding everyday.Kubrick told her "If you get thrown, roll over.Don't hurt your face."
- Sue remarked "It wasn't that he wasn't interested in you personally, he was.But for him the film was the most important thing."