Jerry J. Jerrie
Created by: Unknown
Used by: The Great
1. Joe Nemo was used by German ventriloquist Paul Edgar Reick,
who performed under the name The Great Edgar.
2. Vent Haven founder W.S. Berger purchased Joe and three other
figures from the Great Edgar in 1965.
3. Along with the four figures, Edgar included a letter describing
each of the figures and Edgar's career.
4. In that letter, Edgar stated that Joe Nemo's last name is taken
from Latin and means "no body."
5. According to the letter, Joe was originally used as a robot which
was operated by assistants offstage. It was later converted to a
6. Edgar states in the letter that he sculpted the figure, but a
"mechanic" did the inner workings of the robot. Edgar states that at
the time of the letter--as far as he knew--the mechanic was still
alive, but the mechanic was trapped in East Berlin when the Berlin
Wall was erected, and that Edgar had not spoken with him in 20
7. Edgar claims in the letter that there were several parties
interested in keeping Joe Nemo in Germany, and that he had received
several offers higher than Berger's offer, but that Edgar sold the
figure to Berger for two reasons: 1) Because he knew Berger would
treasure the figure and care for it, and 2) Because he remembered
that, during shortages caused by World War II, Berger had sent Edgar
"care packages" and asked nothing in return .
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.
Copyright 2008 Vent Haven Museum
All contents of this website,
including pictures, may not be reproduced,
rewritten, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast, in whole
or in part, in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including
photocopying, recording or the use of any information storage and retrieval
the prior written permission of Vent Haven Museum, Inc.
Home | W.S.
Berger | ConVENTion
| Multimedia | Figure
of the Month | FAQ
| Contact Us