Jerry J. Jerrie
Created by: Frank Marshall
1. Champagne Charlie joined the Vent Haven collection in
February of 1938
2. Vent Haven founder W.S.
Berger purchased Charlie new from renowned figuremaker
3. Champagne Charlie is a life-sized walking figure.
4. Charlie's other special features include moving eyes, a walking
cane, a top hat, and a smoking mechanism.
5. Berger had great difficulty with the walking mechanism Marshall
created. In a letter to Marshall, Berger wrote, "I don't seem to
make him walk properly--I raise the pins that extend down when I
walk him, but if I am not careful he is so drunk he collapses."
6. Marshall wrote back, "You are having the same trouble that most
every one else has with a walking figure. You will get the knack of
the balance and then say well, I'll be D******. It's just getting
7. In the end, though, Berger was never able to master the Marshall
walking mechanism. Berger had figuremakers
and George McElroy remodel the walking mechanism.
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.
A McElroy Figure
Copyright 2008 Vent Haven Museum
All contents of this website,
including pictures, may not be reproduced,
rewritten, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast, in whole
or in part, in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including
photocopying, recording or the use of any information storage and retrieval
the prior written permission of Vent Haven Museum, Inc.
Home | W.S.
Berger | ConVENTion
| Multimedia | Figure
of the Month | FAQ
| Contact Us