Jerry J. Jerrie
Created by: J.C. Turner
1. Don Messick was born in Buffalo, New York on September 7,
2. Messick was a well known voice actor, who loaned his voice to
many famous animated characters, inclubding Scooby Doo (Scooby
Doo), Bamm Bamm Rubble (The Flintstones), both Astro and
Rudy (The Jetsons), and Papa Smurf (The Smurfs).
3. If you're interested in seeing a list of all of the TV shows and
movies for which Messick loaned his voice, you can view the list at
Internet Movie Database.
4. Prior to his career as a voice actor, Messick was a
ventriloquist. Woody was his main figure.
5. Woody is a professional figure. However, unlike most pro figures,
Woody does not have a lever on his neckpole, but instead has a pull
string, similar to most toy figures.
6. Don Messick died on October 24, 1997. His widow, Helen, donated
Woody to Vent Haven Museum in 2002. In the donation letter, Helen
referred to this figure as "his beloved Woody." In addition to this
figure, she donated two other figures, several stuffed animals of
the characters Messick voiced (Scooby Doo can be seen looking over
Woody's shoulder), and several photos of Messick.
7. Vent Haven advisor Mark Wade facilitated the donation.
8. Woody is currently on display in Building Two of the Museum on
the left side of the building. He cannot be seen on either of the
Quick Time Virtual Pans of Building Two..
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.
Copyright 2008 Vent Haven Museum
All contents of this website,
including pictures, may not be reproduced,
rewritten, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast, in whole
or in part, in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including
photocopying, recording or the use of any information storage and retrieval
the prior written permission of Vent Haven Museum, Inc.
Home | W.S.
Berger | ConVENTion
| Multimedia | Figure
of the Month | FAQ
| Contact Us