Jerry J. Jerrie
Date Created: 1939-1941
Created by: George and Glenn McElroy
Used by: W.S. Berger
moving mouth, simultaneously curling upper and lower lips, stick-out
tongue, sniffing nose, eyes move in all directions, crossing eyes,
one winking eye, moving eyebrows, wiggling ears, dyed rabbit fur
1. Jacko is the official mascot
of our sister website, the Vent
Haven Convention website.
2. Jacko was the favorite figure of Berger's wife Josephine.
3. The upper lip of Jacko was made from a lady's kid glove.
4. At first Berger simply called Jacko the Mechanical Monkey.
5. The McElroys repaired Jacko in 1974.
6. Berger had Jacko made to be used with the hurdy gurdy in an organ
7. Jacko's thumb was damaged in transit from Cincinnati to Louisville
when he was displayed at
the 1954 IBV convention.
8. "Jacko" is the proper spelling for this figure. It was
originally misspelled "Jocko" in the 1974 museum catalog.
9. Jacko is 36 inches in length and is made of plastic wood.
10. Berger purchased Jacko for $125. He paid for the
figure in five monthly installments of $25 each.
11. Jacko is on display in Building One of the museum and thus is
not visible in any of the Quicktime Virtual Pans on this website.
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.
Copyright 2008 Vent Haven Museum
All contents of this website,
including pictures, may not be reproduced,
rewritten, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast, in whole
or in part, in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including
photocopying, recording or the use of any information storage and retrieval
the prior written permission of Vent Haven Museum, Inc.
Home | W.S.
Berger | ConVENTion
| Multimedia | Figure
of the Month | FAQ
| Contact Us