|Downton, Wiltshire History|
|THE BOROUGH CROSS|
The original medieval cross may date from around the founding of the borough in 1208, although only the cross at the top would be original. The cross was damaged in 1642 by Cromwell's troops and again in 1940 when a German land mine was dropped in the meadow. It was not restored until 1952 when the cross now on the top was found buried, probably from the time of its slighting in 1642. In the 18th century a weather vane had been placed at the top.
Parliamentary elections were held at the cross, outside the White Horse, until 1832.
Acknowledgement: The Wiltshire County Council