This is Checkers in the summer of '98.
- Real Name: Checkers
- Name History: God only knows; my mom named her
- Nickname: "CHECK-uhz"
- Gender: Female
- Animal: Rabbit
- Breed: Dutch Chocolate
- Age: about 4 or 5
- Born: unknown
- Died: March 25, 2001
- Origin: The neighbors two doors down
- Markings: White with brown "hat" and "pants"
- Physical Features: About eleven inches long; rounded ears
and alert brown eyes
- Liked: Carrots, freedom, harassing the cats
- Disliked: Strawberries, spinach, her hutch
- Siblings: Plenty, but unknown
- Enjoyed hiding under the pine trees in the backyard.
- Had the run of the backyard until she failed to be a domesticated
animal, at which point she went back in her hutch for a few weeks.
- Tried her darndest not to get caught when it was domestication time.
- Learned to equate people and a good, high-pitched, "CHECK-AHS! Do you want your DEENAH?!" with carrots.
- Became very indignant when the cats were given their food, but she didn't receive any carrots at the same time.
- Frequently charged at the cats, headbutted them, sniffed their behinds, and walked under them, all in the name of amusement. (Or hormones.)
- Tried consistently to mate with the cats or various other assorted backyard animals.
- Chased off strange cats from the backyard by attacking them.
Click on the thumbnails to view a larger image.