Thanks for your interest in performing in the "Tuesday Concert" series. Please read the following carefully and, if you're still interested, e-mail me: Larry "at" LCarter.Com (but put "@" instead of "at" of course).
1) This series is for performers who already have or can generate a Lawrence following. Audience members come to hear a particular performer rather than to just have something to do on a Tuesday night, so out-of-area performers who don't already have a local following are likely to find an empty room. Given the high demand among Lawrence musicians for these slots, it isn't fair to them to schedule someone who will, in all likelihood, be disappointed anyway.
2) The spring series usually runs from the first Tuesday in March until the Tuesday before Memorial Day weekend. The fall series usually runs from the first Tuesday after Labor Day to the last Tuesday before Christmas. Some dates, however, might not be available due to another event at the LAC. I usually start actively scheduling about a month before the first date of the series, although it is possible to reserve a specific date before then. Email me if you want to reserve a particular date or if you want to make sure I know you are interested.
3) If you are new to the series, I need a 3-4 sentence description of what you'll be doing (including names and instruments) and a picture. If you have performed here before, I will use your previous photos and descriptions unless you indicate otherwise.
4) I am doing this for free, and you are doing this for tips, so neither of us are doing it for the money. Mass Street Music, Mandolin Cafe and Beautiful Music Violin Shop sponsor the series, which basically means they are paying for the fliers and other expenses. Ultimately, let's remember that we're all doing this for the love of the music.
5) I do the basic promotion by making a Facebook event page unless you'd prefer making your own. Please be aware that, if you want to play in this series, YOU ARE AGREEING TO RECRUIT YOUR AUDIENCE . There are only a few regulars who show up because they want something to do on a Tuesday night. Most audience members will be there because YOU invited them, so if you don't, most won't. If you send out an email or social media announcement (recommended) please include a link to the www.TuesdayConcert.Com website.
6) I do a ONE SONG opening act, then introduce the featured artist(s) who performs somewhere around an hour. I'll also come back on at the end to make announcements and promote the tip jar.
7) I usually arrive about 7:00 to set up chairs and such. If you arrive before me, set up to the far left as you enter the lobby. If the Arts Center doesn't have an exhibit in the way, go left toward the first wall so you are facing the front desk, side to the windows. It is also OK to set up with your back to the windows, but that means people will be distracted by outside happenings and possible blinded by the sunset.
8) Please be aware that this is NOT a Lawrence Arts Center event. They let me use the space & chairs, but that's about it. As of this point, they don't even mention the series on their website. We have access to the lobby from 6:30 until 9:00, so please be efficient in setting up before and breaking down afterwards. Some performers prefer to play acoustically, but I suggest at least some sound reinforcement. If you wish, I can provide speakers and a simple PA if you'll bring mics with stands & cables. The Arts Center doesn't provide anything except chairs, so DO NOT assume I will just show up with a sound system.
PLEASE don't turn the volume up WAY high as there are various rehearsals and classes happening throughout the building and they have first priority. It took some serious lobbying for me to convince the Lawrence Arts Center to let me use this space every week for free, so we really can't jeopardize their generosity.
See the www.TuesdayConcert.com website or the Tuesday Concert Facebook page for more details. I hope to hear from you soon.
Email: Larry "at" LCarter.Com
This website a
public service of
L Carter Enterprises
Lawrence Old Guard
You are visitor
since January 6th, 2009