The Blessing Of Trust
Why didn't Jesus add to his beatitudes: "Blessed are they who are able to trust, for they shall experience peace?" In tormented cries of "why, Lord, why?" there is no peace. Perhaps because trust is one thing which each person has to achieve alone. Advising someone to trust, cannot accomplish it.
I remember as a child, listening to my mother's words. "An ant on the ground could not understand what we are doing, could it? Well, God is so much greater than we are, it would be just as foolish to try to understand why He does things, than it would be for an ant to try to understand why we do things." At that moment, I comprehended God's greatness better than I ever had before. I never forgot it. She was also teaching me the meaning of trust.
* Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5
When I was in my thirties, and my heart was breaking because I had lost a child, I cried out to God, "Father, I can't BEAR it! I want to understand why. Why did you let this happen?"
* May my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding. Psalm 119:169
What was I thinking? Did I think that if I knew why, my pain would be any less? Well, I did not get an answer. We are not always ready to hear the answer, and only God knows when we will be ready. My mother's words kept coming back to me.
* How great is God-beyond our understanding! Job 36:26
Eventually, I stopped asking why. Instead, I began to blindly struggle to trust without understanding. God has blessed me through this. He has also, as the years passed, showed me clearly, reasons for some of the heartaches that nearly destroyed me. I am satisfied now. I don't need to know why any more. God knows why, and He holds us in His loving care. That is enough.
* Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8
* Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
* You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
* The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. Psalm 28:7
* I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever. Psalm 52:8b
* I trust in you, O LORD Psalm 31:14
© 2004 Rosemary Gwaltney