Bittersweet Chocolate Torte with Apricot Filling
Recipe By :Weight Watchers
5 Points per serving
6 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar -- minus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose -- plus 1 tablespoon sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
***Frosting and Filling***
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder -- plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons instant expresso powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup apricot all-fruit spread strawberries -- for garnish (optional)
"Espresso powder intensifies the chocolate flavor of the smooth, shiny frosting that cloaks this spicy chocolate cake. If you prefer your chocolate cake "straight" -- without the added kick of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg--these spices can simply be omitted."
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, set at High speed, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and tripled in volume, about 7 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a large rubber spatula, quickly and gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, until smooth. Divide the mixture between the two prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool completely in the pans set on racks.
3. Meanwhile, to make the frosting: in a food processor or blender, process the ricotta cheese, cocoa, powder, espresso, powder, sugar, vanilla and salt, until smooth. Cover and chill the frosting until ready to use.
4. When the cake is cool, turn it out of the pans. With a long serrated knife, split each layer in half horizontally and spread the bottom half of each layer with half of the apricot all-fruit spread. Carefully replace the top halves.
5. Spread half of the frosting evenly over the top of one of the filled layers. Stack the second filled layer on top of the first. Swirl the reaming frosting evenly over the top of the cake. (Picture also shows down outside of cake). Garnish with whole strawberries, if desired.
To serve, cut the cake into 12 equal slices.
Serving size (one 2 inch slice)
Time: 1 hour plus cooling time.
Serving Suggestions: Enjoy a slice of cake with a glass of cold milk or a steaming cup of espresso, depending on your taste. A few raspberries or strawberries alongside add a nice touch.
Selections: 1 Protein, 1/4 Bread, 1 Fruit, 90 Opt. Cal.
Per serving; 221 Cal, 6g Fat, 116mg Chol, 82mg Sod, 8g Pro, 35g Carb, ?g Fib
Weight Watcher Points: 5
Source: "Weight Watchers Smart Choices Recipe Collection (start card)" S(Alternate Source): ""
NOTES : Shared by Pamela S.