Recipe by: Weight Watchers Magazine
5 Points Per Serving
2 cups reduced-fat buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp grated orange zest
2/3 cup low-fat (1%) milk
6 peaches, sliced
1 cup raspberries
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp strawberry preserves
1 cup thawed frozen light nondairy whipped topping
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Spray a 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the baking mix, 3 tbsp of the sugar and the orange zest.
3. Add the milk and stir with a fork until a soft dough forms. Transfer to the pan and press flat with floured fingers. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the sugar.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
5. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely, top-side up.
6. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, raspberries, orange juice, preserves and the remaining 1/4 cup of the sugar. Let stand 30 minutes.
7. With a serrated knife, split the shortcake in half horizontally. Place the bottom, cut-side up, on a serving plate and spread with the whipped topping. Top with two-thirds of the fruit mixture.
8. Place the top of the cake, cut-side down, on the fruit. Cut into wedges to serve, spooning on the remaining fruit.
TIP! Raspberries and peaches add a new twist to this old favorite. But if you can't forgo long-standing traditions, juicy strawberries still make a wonderful shortcake.
Makes 8 servings
5 POINTS per serving
Per serving: Calories 277, Fat 4g, Saturated fat 2g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 472mg, Carbohydrate 56g, Fiber 2g, Protein 4g, Calcium 74mg
Shared by: Lori G.