Greenwood sports hall of fame honors 10

August 28, 2004

Index-Journal sports writer

The Greenwood Athletic Hall of Fame presented its inaugural class Friday night during halftime of the seventh annual Greenwood City Championship between the Greenwood and Emerald high school football teams.
Former Greenwood High greats Joab “Joe” Anderson, Julius Wistar “Pinky” Babb, Ray Bowick, Robert Brooks, Leonard “Budgie” Broome, Tyler Hellams, Sonny Horton and Harvey White, and former Brewer High School legends Luther Bradley and Milton Nicholson were officially inducted at midfield amid a thunderous standing ovation from the thousands at J.W. Babb Stadium.
“I think it’s so exciting for everybody,” said Babb’s daughter, Betty Smoak, whose father won nine state football championships as the Greenwood football team’s coach from 1943-81. “This is a real gathering of a lot of generations of people that were important to Greenwood and Greenwood athletics.”
Bradley, a former Brewer High coach, agreed.
“This is one of the best things to ever happen to me,” he said. “I was coming to see a lot of people that were a part of their lives. It’s great for me to think that I had a little bit in their development. It was a great thing that they decided to include Brewer with this. It’s inclusive, and that’s important.”
The other eight inductees were distinguished student-athletes. Anderson, Bowick, Brooks, Broome, Hellams, Horton, Nicholson and White each received collegiate athletic scholarships. Brooks went on to become a member of the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.
The new hall-of-famers and their families gathered in the foyer at Greenwood High School before the game for a social, where old friends and teammates and their families shared warm hugs and firm handshakes.
“It’s just great … great to be here with all these former players,” said Hellams, a 1967 Greenwood graduate who was a state track champion and all-star football player. “It’s just a great experience to be back here. I saw Betty Babb (Smoak) and (Pinky Babb’s son) Brush Babb, and that brought back a lot of memories.
“It’s such a privilege to be in this group. This is definitely one of the greatest thrills of my life. I can’t express how important this is and what it means to me and the community.”



Eagles keep streak

GHS tops Emerald in annual city battle

August 28, 2004

Index-Journal sport writer

Paced by a stifling defense and an impressive performance from All-Lakelands quarterback Zearrick Matthews, the Eagles continued its dominance of the Greenwood City Championship.
The Greenwood High School football team made it seven in a row over Emerald with a 34-14 win Friday night at J.W. Babb Stadium.
The Eagles (1-0) got a pair of first-half touchdowns from Matthews, while its defense limited the Vikings (0-1) to just 34 yards of offense in the first 24 minutes.
“We did a lot of good things out there tonight,” Greenwood coach Shell Dula said. “Defensively, we played great in the first half and I thought we did offensively as well. We scored two touchdowns and two field goals on five possessions.”
But the Eagles’ win may prove to be a costly one in the long run. Matthews was injured near the close of the second quarter and was carted off the field at halftime with an ice pack placed on his left foot.
Receiver and backup QB Armanti Edwards came in for Matthews with 1 minute, 12 seconds remaining in the first half.
The senior QB returned to the sidelines in the second half on crutches with his right foot taped. Dula said that he would know more today after Matthews’ foot gets X-rayed.
The Eagles scored on the game’s opening drive and never looked back.
Greenwood started from its own 20-yard line after a booming touchback kickoff from Emerald’s Christopher Tommie. However, the tough starting field position didn’t prove to be too daunting a task for the Eagles.
Matthews hit Edwards for a 28-yard fade pass on the second play from scrimmage. The senior QB followed that with a 36-yard run to put the Eagles in the red zone.
Three plays later, Matthews broke one tackle and made a vicious stiff arm to ramble in for the 11-yard score.
Greenwood took more than four minutes off the clock on its second possession, driving to the Emerald 15 before settling for a Clay Baldwin 32-yard field goal.
The Matthews-Baldwin combination responded for 10 more points in the second half to give the Eagles a commanding 20-0 lead.
The senior QB added a 4-yard touchdown run and two possessions later, the junior kicker booted a 22-yard field goal.
Matthews, who finished with 121 passing yards and 60 rushing yards, injured his foot on the series in-between the two scoring drives.
Edwards came in and completed his first three passes to put Greenwood in position for the field goal that made it 20-0.
The Eagles could have added to their lead, but a 57-yard punt return for a touchdown by Antavious Coates was called back on a clipping penalty. That Greenwood possession eventually ended in a turnover.
While the Eagles’ offense rolled, the defense controlled its Emerald counterpart, allowing only one first-half first down.
“Our mindset as a defense coming in was that we planned to go three-and-out on every play and we pretty much accomplished that,” said the senior safety Coates.
The Eagles seemingly put the finishing touches on their seventh city championship with a 78-yard touchdown run by backup tailback Zack Norman in the fourth quarter.
However, the Vikings didn’t stop attacking.
Emerald ended the Eagles’ defense hopes for a shut out denied midway through the fourth.
After a 21-yard run by fullback Terrance Rapley, Wideman hit Glasco Tolbert for a 7-yard gain to put the Vikings at mid-field. The junior quarterback then broke out to the left side for a 43-yard run to put Emerald on the 6.
On the next play, junior tailback Brandon Davis took the toss sweep to the right side and scampered the six yards for the score.
The Vikings made it a ballgame again less than two minutes later when Ryan Wilkie recovered a block punt in the end zone to make it 27-14 with 5:56 remaining.
“We played a pretty good third quarter and i’m so proud of the way our kids never gave up,” Emerald coach Frank Hill said. “We continued to play hard the whole night. Even when the whistle blew, we were still fighting for the last yard.”
Greenwood responded to the back-to-back Emerald scores by going on a nine-play scoring drive, pushing the scoring margin to 20. Junior tailback Robert Robinson, who finished with 101 yards rushing, plunged in from the 2 to make it 34-14.




Allen Henderson

Charles Allen Henderson, 88, of 170 Rutledge Road, widower of Truman Crow Henderson, died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2004 at Self Regional Healthcare.
Born in Greenwood, he was a son of the late Mason Conway and Nannie Rebecca Wilson Henderson. He was a World War II Army veteran, serving in the European Theater for 33 months. He retired in 1975 as a chief warrant officer in the S.C. National Guard, with more than 33 years of active duty and National Guard service. A member of First Baptist Church, he was also a member of the National Guard of the United States, the National Guard of South Carolina and a former member of the Northwest Volunteer Fire Department Advisory Board.
Survivors include a brother, Wilson C. Henderson of Greenwood.
Services are 5 p.m. today at Blyth Funeral Home, conducted by the Rev. Dr. Tony Hopkins. Entombment is in Greenwood Memorial Gardens Mausoleum.
Pallbearers are Dr. John Scott, Dr. John Kirkland, Robert “Bob” Barmore Jr., Judson Ayers, Robert “Bobby” Ray, Charles “Bill” Heard and Frank DeVore.
Honorary escorts are members and former members of the S.C. National Guard, along with Steve Baggett, Charlie Sparks, Thomas Harvin, Lang Foster, Al Wornall and Kenneth Poston.
Visitation is 4-5 today at the funeral home.
Family members are at their respective homes.
Memorials may be made to the Greenwood Hospice House, c/o Hospice Care of the Piedmont, 408 W. Alexander Ave., Greenwood, SC 29646.
Blyth Funeral Home is in charge.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Robert F. O’Neil

McCORMICK, SC – Robert F. O’Neil, 82, of 203 Christmas Drive and formerly of Belleair Beach, FL, husband of Jessie Robertson O’Neil, died peacefully after a long illness on Friday, August 27, 2004 at his home.
Born in Cleveland, OH, he was a son of the late Carl and Hanore Whitehead O’Neil. He was retired from the McCormick County Sheriff’s Department and was formerly the business manager of James P. Gills, M.D. in New Port Richey, FL and was the general manager for Regency Mall, Augusta, GA. He was in the Merchant Marines for 25 years, serving during World War II, where he participated in the Invasion of Normandy. He was of the Methodist faith.
Surviving is his wife of 50 years; daughter, Carolyn O’Neil, daughter, Alison O’Neil Andrew and her husband, Jonathan Andrew, all of Atlanta, GA; son, Brian O’Neil of Belleair Beach, FL; two sisters, Harriett Jankowski of North Dakota and Lenore Maloney of Clearwater, FL; and two grandchildren, John Robert Chapman and Katie O’Neil Chapman of Atlanta, GA.
A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at the Harley Funeral Home Chapel, Greenwood, SC with the Rev. G. Thomas Cartledge and Mr. Ronnie Kidd officiating. Entombment will be in Arlington National Cemetery at a later date.
The family will receive friends at their home on Monday from 4 to 6 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to HospiceCare of the Piedmont, 408 W. Alexander Avenue, Greenwood, SC 29646.
Online condolences may be sent to the family by visiting PAID OBITUARY

Hugh Rambo Sr.

Hugh Senn Rambo Sr., 85, of 400 Elizabeth Ave., and of Tignall, Ga., husband of Evelyn Jones Rambo, died Thursday, Aug. 26, 2004, at McDuffie Regional Medical Center in Thomson, Ga.
Born in Greenwood County, he was a son of the late James and Sarah Timmerman Rambo. He was the retired owner and operator of Rambo’s Grocery in Ninety Six. A World War II Navy veteran, he served 17 years in the Army Reserves. He was a member of First Baptist Church of Greenwood.
Survivors include his wife of the home; three sons, James T. Rambo Sr. of Laurens, Tommy Rambo of the home and Hugh Rambo Jr. of Spartanburg; a brother, Carl Rambo of Summerville; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren.
Services are 3 p.m. Sunday at Harley Funeral Home, conducted by the Revs. Chuck Smith, Tony Hopkins and Gene Brown and Mr. Donnie Calhoun. Burial is in Edgewood Cemetery.
Pallbearers are James Rambo Jr., Braden H. Rambo, Doug Hastings, Zan Bunch, Warren Rambo, Toy Hill, Robert M. Butler and Steve Gunter.
Honorary escorts are Harvey Cappell, Lee Cappell, Clay Spence, Bill Rambo and Ben Rambo.
Visitation is 6-8 tonight at the funeral home.
The family is at the home.
Memorials may be made to the Edgewood Cemetery Fund, c/o First Baptist Church, 722 Grace St., Greenwood, SC 29646 or Independence United Methodist Church, Tignall, GA 30668.
Harley Funeral Home is in charge.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Henry Terry

PLUM BRANCH — Henry Terry, 81, widower of Lula Bentley Terry, died at the home of a daughter Friday, Aug. 27, 2004.
Born in McCormick, he was a son of the late Zingo and Ellen Curry Terry. He was a member of Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church and formerly served on the Usher Board. He was a retired log cutter.
Survivors include six daughters, Brenda Gaston and Bernice Terry, both of the McCormick, Mary Terry and Carolyn Terry, both of Plum Branch, Louise Hill of the home and Valerie Black of Philadelphia; five sons, David McDaniel of Edgefield, Eddie Stanley Terry and Howard Terry, both of McCormick, Henry Terry Jr. of Calhoun Falls and Ronnie Terry of Troy; a grandson reared in the home, Ronnie Morgan of Greenwood; 26 other grandchildren; two sisters, Henrietta Kelly and Lila Quarles, both of McCormick.
The family is at the home of a son Howard Terry, Route 2, Jefferson Street, McCormick.
Services will be announced by Walker Funeral Home, McCormick.

Ruth Toney

Mary Ruth Gregory Toney, 88, of 214 E. Henrietta Ave., widow of Henry H. Toney, died Friday, Aug. 27, 2004 at Morningside Assisted Living.
Born in Spartanburg, she was a daughter of the late O.S. and Ketura Littlejohn Gregory. She was a retired bookkeeper from Planters Hardware. A member of Main Street United Methodist Church, she was a member of the Upper Room/Featherstone Sunday School Class, Circle 10 and United Methodist Women. She was a volunteer with the Piedmont Agency on Aging.
Survivors include a son, Felix Toney of Clemson; a daughter, Brenda T. Freeman of Summit; two grandchildren; three great-grandchildren.
Services are 3 p.m. Sunday at Main Street United Methodist Church, conducted by the Rev. Jim Dennis. Entombment is in Greenwood Memorial Gardens Mausoleum.
Pallbearers are Richard Freeman, Brian Toney, Greg Toney, Warren Brown, Donnie Golightly and Tim McClain.
Honorary escorts are members of the Upper Room/Featherstone Sunday School Class.
Visitation is 1-2 Sunday at Blyth Funeral Home.
Family members are at their respective homes.
Memorials may be made to Main Street United Methodist Church, 211 North Main St., Greenwood, SC 29646 or The American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 1741, Greenwood, SC 29648.
Blyth Funeral Home is in charge.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at




Same rules should apply to both political parties

August 28, 2004

Democrats continue to lambaste the Bush campaign because one of the campaign’s lawyers did some legal work for the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. That group, of course, is critical of Sen. John Kerry’s war record. The lawyer’s work was not illegal, but that doesn’t seem to mean anything to the critics.
Then there are Democratic lawyers working for liberal groups like That group supports Kerry, berates Bush, and is funded with a $5 million gift by liberal billionaire George Soros. No one in Kerry’s campaign has said anything about their roles. Aren’t they the same as the lawyer doing work for the Swift Boat veterans?
Whose ox is being gored? That is the question.

* * * * *
Former Sen. Max Cleland went to President Bush’s Texas ranch to deliver a letter signed by nine U. S. senators. It asked that Bush denounce the Swift Boat vets’ TV commercial that questions Kerry’s record.
Security people wouldn’t accept the letter. However, a state official, also a veteran, was there to represent Bush. He told Cleland he’d accept and deliver the letter. But, he also had a letter for Cleland, asking Kerry to explain a couple of things.
Cleland ignored him.
Considering the whole fiasco, it’s hard to see how it could be construed as anything but a grandstand play to get publicity?

* * * * *
It’s clear Kerry’s people will go on asking Bush why he won’t denounce the TV commercial, even though he has. Really, how many ways can he say it?
Bush publicly denounced all such ads, and asked Kerry to join him. Still, it’s like Bush never said a word.
Of course, the Bush critics did say he waited too late to denounce the ad, which shows they know he did. And that was several days ago. You have to wonder, then, why they keep insisting he hasn’t ….. especially when the public saw and heard him do it.
They also say Bush should apologize. Isn’t that what the Swift Boat vets want from Kerry? He is the one who called them murderers, and worse, when he came home from Vietnam after four months and joined Jane Fonda’s protests?

* * * * *
Some people still say the hullabaloo over Kerry’s service in Vietnam is all about truth, not politics.
If anyone really believes it’s not about politics, there’s a guy who’d like to sell them some ocean-front property in Kansas.

Editorial expression in this feature represents our own views.
Opinions are limited to this page.