The confident and vain Marksmen believe that the only true and noble way of
fighting, is that of the archers, and so they train to expertise in this art;
how to hit a foe, as well as how to make best use of their skill in battle.
They feel that the fray and chaos of the melee is below their stature, and
that the way to kill a foe should be an arrow through the heart. They do not
refuse to melee, but rather prefer the use of their sturdy bows.
Marksman uniform and armament
Marksmen wear chain armour, as it gives them more room to use their bows.
Only exception is that of the arms, where they wear plate golden arms. The
Marksmen do not wear any coifs, but instead a feathered hat and a cloak, both
in the same colour as the guardsman kilt. For weaponry they strongly prefer a bow, crossbow or
heavy crossbow, but may wield one-handed melee weapons or axes in combat as well. No shields, however.
Roleplaying a Marksman
- Marksmen are calm and rational in their ways, showing proof of nobility.
- Marksmen drink wine, often cooling it down or heating it before. They
have great knowledge in the arts of winery, as they can taste where the
grape was held, of what yearline the wine is of.
- Marksmen do not like ale, and only drink it in the utmost emergency. (ie
no wine around)
- Marksmen detest the use of shields and would never sink so low as to use them. This also results in them
looking down upon the Besiegers and slightly the Drunkards, although this
seldom takes any other form than a taunt here and there.
- Marksmen in battle often group themselves into one deadly unit,
efficiently picking off one target at a time with their deadly array of
bolts and arrows. They know their strength lies in the unit, rather than the
- Marksmen know that to inflict the most damage on their foe, they need to
keep them at an arm's length. To this mean they often carry some hay or know
carpentry to make boxes, laying out barricades to clutter the battlefield.
To know where and when to place the barricades for them to work, is
considered an art amongst the Marksmen.
- Marksmen are the sworn defenders of Stonekeep, and are more often found
near the compounds than the other divisions; shooting down the stray
attacker, and showing the younger guardsmen how to behave and use the only
true and noble weapon there is.
Quotes of Mentality
"No thank you. Only Yewish brew for me."
"Move a muscle and have it pierced, savage!"
"Pah! I think not!"
"Oh, but look! Dirt on my cloak... Clean it up, Trainee."
"If your wits were half as sharp as this bolt, you'd take your leave, and
quickly at that."
"Aim for the heart! This man is charged for