Enjoy these various bits of trivia that I have nowhere else to put!
- You can trace the band's name to a 1967 spy movie named The Million Eyes of Sumuru. Olympia-based musician Lois Maffeo and her friend Margaret Doherty originally used the name Bikini Kill as the title of a one-off performance they did while dressed in fake fur outfits, resembling punk rock cavewomen. After Maffeo went with "Cradle Robbers" as the name of her band, Tobi Vail took the Bikini Kill name and ran with it.
- Kathleen Hanna shares her birthday (November 12) with Tonya Harding, Grace Kelly, and Charles Manson.
- Kathleen is responsible for the title of Nirvana's 1992 überhit "Smells Like Teen Spirit". According to legend, Kurt Cobain and Tobi were an item, and as a joke, Kathleen spraypainted the phrase "KURT SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT" on his bedroom wall, as a reference to Tobi's preferred brand of deodorant, and the fact that Kurt was "marked" with her scent.
- Kathleen appeared in the music video for Sonic Youth's song "Bull in the Heather" (1994).
- Kathleen sang the opening lines of Green Day's 2004 song "Letterbomb" as the character Whatsername: "Nobody likes you, everyone left you / They're all out without you, having fun."
- "Rebel Girl" is a playable song in the video game Rock Band 2.
- BK is referenced as one of Kat's favorite bands in the movie 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).
Patrick: You know, these guys are no Bikini Kill or the Raincoats, but they're not bad.
Kat: ...you know who the Raincoats are?
- "New Radio" was featured in an episode of Roseanne called "The Getaway, Almost" (1995).
- "Rebel Girl" was featured in an episode of The L Word called "Livin' La Vida Loca" (2007).
- In this episode, a group of friends are playing guess-the-celebrity and the celebrity chosen is Kathleen Hanna. The clue given to describe her is: "Le Tigre and Julie Ruin, Bikini Kill..." The lesbians in the group know the answer ("Oh, she just pretty much started the whole riot grrrl music scene, but hey"), but not the straight folks, which prompts one guy to ask, "What's the riot grrrl music scene?"
- "Rebel Girl" was featured in an episode of Orange is the New Black called "Ching Chong Chang" (2015). The song also plays over the end credits.
||BK Song Featured
|The Incredibly True Adventures
of Two Girls in Love
|"Resist Psychic Death"
|Not Another Teen Movie
|The Itty Bitty Titty Committee
||"For Tammy Rae"
x x x x x x x
what is riot grrrl? | band biography | lyrics |
in print |
about the site