Enjoy these various bits of trivia that I have nowhere else to put!
- You can trace the band's name to a 1967 spy movie called The Million Eyes of Sumuru. Olympia-based musician Lois Maffeo and her friend Margaret Doherty originally used the name Bikini Kill as the title of a one-off performance they did while dressed in fake fur outfits, resembling punk rock cavewomen. After Maffeo went with "Cradle Robbers" as the name of her band, Tobi Vail appropriated the name.
- Kathleen Hanna shares her birthday (November 12) with Tonya Harding, Grace Kelly, and Charles Manson.
- Kathleen is responsible for the title of Nirvana's 1992 breakthrough song "Smells Like Teen Spirit". According to legend, Kurt Cobain and Tobi were dating. As a joke, an inebriated Kathleen spraypainted the phrase "KURT SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT" on his bedroom wall, as a reference to Tobi's preferred brand of deodorant, and the fact that Kurt was "marked" with her scent.
- Kathleen appeared in the 1994 music video for Sonic Youth's song "Bull in the Heather".
- BK is referenced as one of Kat's favorite bands in the movie 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).
Patrick: You know, these guys are no Bikini Kill or the Raincoats, but they're not bad.
Kat: ...you know who the Raincoats are?
- Kathleen sang the opening lines of Green Day's 2004 song "Letterbomb" as the character Whatsername: "Nobody likes you, everyone left you / They're all out without you, having fun."
- "Rebel Girl" is a playable song in the video game Rock Band 2.
||BK Song Featured
|The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love
||"Resist Psychic Death"
||Song plays over a fight sequence.
|Not Another Teen Movie
||While their dad is giving them a ride to school, siblings Janey and Mitch start picking on each other.
Janey: I read Sylvia Plath, I listen to Bikini Kill and I eat tofu. I am a unique rebel.
Mitch: It sounds more like you're a lesbo.
Later, "Rebel Girl" is played over a scene of Janey wildly slinging paint at a canvas in art class... because she's a unique rebel. [watch clip]
|Itty Bitty Titty Committee
"For Tammy Rae"
|"Hamster Baby" plays while the C(I)A girls are running from a cop, after breaking into a store and vandalizing their display. "Rebel Girl" plays over a montage of the two main characters hanging out, and "For Tammy Rae" plays when they start makin' out.
(This movie also features cool tunes by Le Tigre, Sleater-Kinney, and Heavens to Betsy.)
||Episode Title & Year
||BK Song Featured
||"The Getaway, Almost"
|"Don't Need You"
||In this episode, Roseanne and Jackie pick up a female hitchhiker named Garland while on their way to an outlet mall. When asked about her band, Garland says: "It's awesome. See, every member's a riot grrrl like me, and we call ourselves the Unit Shredders." She goes on to state what riot grrrl means to her: "See, we're about taking control, not trashing yourself, you know? Chicks that rock. Takin' our place in rock 'n' roll, man – our band is doin' it. A lot of bands are doin' it, actually. Have you heard of the Red Aunts? Babes in Toyland? L7? Bikini Kill?"
Roseanne responds sarcastically, "Oh, Bikini Kill! Are they back together again?"
Garland hands Roseanne a tape to pop in the cassette player. Later on, Roseanne and Jackie have a conversation about women in music. [watch episode]
|The L Word
||"Livin' La Vida Loca"
||In this episode, a group of friends are playing guess-the-celebrity and the celebrity chosen is Kathleen Hanna. The clue given to describe her is: "Le Tigre and Julie Ruin, Bikini Kill..." The lesbians in the group know the answer ("Oh, she just pretty much started the whole riot grrrl music scene, but hey"), but not the straight folks, which prompts one guy to ask, "What's the riot grrrl music scene?"
|Orange is the New Black
||"Ching Chong Chang"
||Song plays over end credits.
x x x x x x x
what is riot grrrl? | band biography | lyrics |
in print |
about the site