First Year Engineering Information
This is a place to come to, after you have secured your seat in your college, and want to know how to go about the course. Of course, you could be interested in knowing the syllabus before hand too.
Note : This is the syllabus till 2002. Some changes are expected from 2003.
The subjects for all first year students are the same except for the Architecture branch, so it doesn't matter which branch you are in, your subjects are :-
1. Engg. Mathematics - I
2. Engg. Physics
3. Engg. Chemistry
4. Elements of Civil Engg.(ECE)
5. Mechanical Engg. Science(MES)
6. Computer Concepts & C Programming
7. Electrical Science
8. Basic Electronics
9. Engineering Graphics
11. Computer Programming Lab
12. Engg. Physics Lab
13. Engg. Chem Lab.
14. Engg. Mathematics - II
15. Strength of Materials.(SOM)
These subjects are divided into 2 cycles - the Physics cycle, and the Chemistry cycle.
You complete the 2 cycles in 2 sems (I year), with 1 cycle in the first sem, and the other in the second sem. In most cases your college decides which cycle you will be in.
Out of these Engg. Maths - I, and ECE are there in both the cycles in the first sem, and Engg. Maths - II, and SOM are there in both the cycles in the second sem.
These are the basic books you can use. This is what we found best for an average student. We recommend only one book per subject. There are a number of reference books by foreign as well as Indian authors. Its always good to study from more books, and more fundamental books, if you have the time, but normally this is not the case. So we advise you to study well from one book properly , and venture to more if you have the time and capacity.
The books indicated are the name of the authors.
1. Engg. Mathematics - I - D.S.Chandrashekhariah
2. Engg. Physics - S.P.Basavaraju
3. Engg. Chemistry - Jaiprakash & Venugopal.
4. Elements of Civil Engg.(ECE) - Rao and Raju
5. Mechanical Engg. Science(MES) - K.R.Gopalakrishna
6. Computer Concepts & C Programming - Balaguruswamy / Yashwant Kanetkar
7. Electrical Science - BN Yoganarsimhan
8. Basic Electronics - BN Yoganarsimhan / Narayanappa
9. Engineering Graphics - K.R.Gopalakrishna
10. Workshop - Manual provided by college
11. Computer Programming Lab - Manual provided by college
12. Engg. Physics Lab - (Engg. Physics Practicals - S.P.Basavaraju)
13. Engg. Chem Lab. - Manual provided by college
14. Engg. Mathematics - II - D.S.Chandrashekhar
15. Strength of Materials.(SOM) - Rao & Raju / Bhavikatti
MATHEMATICS - I.
BACK to Index Page
- Analytical Geometry of 3 dimensions.
- Distance formula
- Division formula
- Direction cosines
- Direction ratios
- Planes and its equation
- Straight line and its equation.
- Angle between planes
- Angle between straight lines
- Shortest distance
- Differential Calculus
- Determination of nth derivative of standard functions
- Leibnitz's theorum and applications.
- Polar curves
- Pedal equations
- Angle between radius vector and the tangent
- Angle of intersection of two curves.
- Partial Differentiation.
- Euler's theorum-total differentiation.
- Differentiation of composite functions.
- Differentiation of implicit functions.
- Errors and approximations.
- Integral Calculus
- Reduction formula for the function sin (raised to n) x
- Reduction formula for the function cos (raised to n) x
- Reduction formula for the function sin (raised to m) x X cos (raised to n) x
- Reduction formula for the function tan (raised to n) x, cot (raised to n) x
- Reduction formula for the function sec (raised to n) x
- Reduction formula for the function cosec (raised to n) x
- Tracing of standard curves in cartesian, parametric and polar forms
- Oblique Asymptotes-application to find area, length and volume of solids of revel.
- Vector Differentiation
- Velocity of a vector point function
- Acceleration of a vector point function
- Gradient, Divergence and Curl
- Solenoidal fields and their properties
- Irrotational fields and their properties
- Infinite Series
- Convergence, divergence and oscillation of an infinte series.
- P-series test
- Cauchy's root test
- D'Alembert's test and Raabe's test
- Cauchy's integral test for series of positive terms
- ALternating Series
- Absolute and Conditional convergence
- Leibnitz's test
- Convergence of power series
- Binomial, Exponential and Logarithmic Series.
- Differential Equations
- Solutions of first order and first degree equations
- Variable seperable equations
- Homogeneous linear equations
- Non homogeneous equations
- Bernoulli's exact differential
- Equations reducible to exact differential by integrating factors
- Orthogonal trajectories in cartesian and polar form
Thank YOU for visiting. To find anything on the net, just click below.
This page Copyright © 2000 Arindam Barua may not be reproduced without written permission.