Deliwela Kota Vehera
According to the folklore Deliwala Kota Vehera was built by a regional king called Keerthi Tissa in the 3rd century BC. On a request by him, the King Devanmpiyatissa (250-210 BC) invited Mihindu Maha Thero and he came to this temple with the relics which were ceremoniously enshrined.
According to professor Paranavithana this stupa was built at least on the 1st century BC. Based on the Brami lettering on the bricks and size of the bricks archeologists believe these bricks belong to the period of King Dutugemunu (161-131 BC). But according to Mahavansa, this was built during the time of King Devanmpiyatissa (250-210 BC).
There is another belief that this was built by King Parakramabahu ( 1153-1186) while he was staying there but left to Pollonnaruwa leaving the stupa in a incomplete state.
In 1892, A.C. Bell has reported that the stupa's circumference being 640 feet, and the height as 112 feet. Although treasure hunters have missed this stupa, it has been in a very dilapidated state when it was found. It was also reported that this was built using thin layer of bricks as the shell and filled with earth inside. According to Prof. Paranavithana this stupa has been built by shaping a small natural hill and building a brick shell over the hill.
During excavations in 1957, a golden casket of about 3 inches height was discovered near the Pesa Walalu. This was perfect replica of the Sanchi Stupa in India. A relic chamber was not present in this stupa but in addition to the golden casket, 173 smaller caskets and 2 gemstone caskets have been discovered in the stupa.
Today the stupa is 160 m in circumference.
The stupa lies about 3 kms away from the Rambukkana Town on the Rambukkana - Dambokka road.
Remarkable Ruins of Rambukkana - Daily Mirror, March 20, 2005
February 21, 2007