This 1886 picture shows the old courthouse in Lexington which was used from 1821 to 1874 when the county seat was moved to Scottsburg in the middle of the night to avoid a civil war. Building was a school at the time this picture was taken, 3 years before being demolished in 1889.
County Number: 72
Seat: Scottsburg (May, 1874 - present). First spelled Scottsburgh until June 30, 1892.
(Lexington - March 6, 1820 - May, 1874)
Architect: Andrew R. Baty
Builder: Travis Carter (Seymour)
Population - Scott County (2002): 23,334
Population - Scottsburg (2002): 6,014
Size: 190.4 square miles
Date of Organization: February 1, 1820
Named for: Gen. Charles Scott - Governor of Kentucky
Dates visited: 7/27/2003; 8/2/2003; 1/10/04; 4/18/04
Courthouse address: One East McClain Avenue, Scottsburg, 47170
Go Back ||| Forward