This is the current building used as the courthouse in downtown Shoals.
This was the building used as the courthouse from 1876 to 2000.
This 1949 postcard shows the old courthouse as it was in use before the addition of the annex in the back in 1951.
County Number: 51
Seat: Shoals (December, 1869 - present)
Hindostan (February 1, 1820 - January 24, 1828)
Mt. Pleasant (January 24, 1828 - January 13, 1844)
Memphis (January 13, 1844 - Autumn, 1844)
Harrisonville (Autumn, 1844 - January 11, 1845)
Hillsborough, later named Dover Hill (January 11, 1845 - September 23, 1867. Seat was to be moved to Loogootee, but the order to move the seat was later recalled Dover Hill served until December, 1869.)
Built: 1982 (Was first built as a bank building. The county moved the courthouse here in 2000 because the former courthouse, built in 1876-77 was becoming delapidated. Since then, the former 1876 courthouse has become part of the Martin County Historical Society.)
Cost: $1 million
Population - Martin County (2002): 10,370
Population - Shoals (2002): 814
Size: 336.1 square miles
Date of Organization: February 1, 1820
Named for: Major John T. Martin of Kentucky
Dates visited: 8/2/2003
Courthouse address: 111 Main Street, Shoals, 47581
Go Back ||| Forward