Research Paper helpful tips
Definition of a research paper: A research paper is a paper were you collect information from several sources, analyze and organize this information and present it to your readers in a helpful way.
Definition of a thesis statement: A concise idea that you try to prove, expand on, or illustrate in your writing.
Research Paper Checklist:
1. choose a topic that interests you
2. narrow the topic to fit your papers length
3. perform extensive research to gather information
4. organize your research
5. write a outline
6. form a thesis statement and support the thesis with the gathered information
7. compile a list of your sources
8. revise and edit
10. publish/ present your paper
How to site parenthetical references:
Put the number of the page used in parenthesis.
As Hughes points out, by the time of Picasso’s death, millions of people around the world could recognize his work. (83)
WORK WITH NO AUTHOR OR EDITOR
Write the title of the reading and state the page number used.
The distortion, especially the “presentation of multiple perspectives” shows early signs of Cubism.
(“Picasso and Cubism”103)
SOURCE ON A PAGE WITH NO PAGE NUMBER
In place of the page number put n. pag. This stands for no pagination.
“when I was a child, my mother said to me, if you….
I became a painter and wound up as Picasso” (George n. pag.).
Inserting Quoted Information:
Choose one of three ways:
1. By quoting the sources directly. Use quotation marks to indicate direct quotations.
“She yelled at me like she was crazy!”
(quotation) page 607
2. By paraphrasing or writing the information in your own words.
All she could talk about is how crazy she acted as she was yelling.
(paraphrase) page 607
3. By summarizing or writing a brief summary.
All she did was yell the whole time.
(summarizing) page 607
Writing a works cited page:
Choose a type of citation:
1. Book with author
Last name, first. Title. City published: publishing company, date published.
2. Magazine Article
Last name, first. “Title of article.” Magazine title. Date: pages in magazine.
3. Encyclopedia Article
Last name, first. “Tile of article.” Encyclopedia title. Edition #. Date
4. Internet Article
“Title of article.” Author name. Date. Website title. <www.URL address.com>
Research Paper Standards:
· 1 inch margins
· 7+ pages
· Headers (Last name pg. #)
· Parenthetical References
· 12 pt. Font
· Times New Roman
· Title Page
· Work Cited page
Links about the Research Paper Process: (copy and paste into URL browser)
3. www.library.cornell.edu/ olinuris/ref/research/skill1.htm
Credible research cites: (copy and paste into URL browser)
Examples of Research Paper:
To get an example of a Research Paper email us at: