"Conservation is getting nowhere because it is incompatible with our Abrahamic concept of land. We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. There is no other way for land to survive the impact of mechanized man, nor for us to reap the esthetic harvest it is capable, under science, of contributing to culture."
--Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, 1948
"[John Shawnessy] didnít foresee the materialism of the age, the spirit of getting wealth, of amassing property, of conquering space, of mining and stripping and gutting and draining...and ravaging and rending the beautiful earth of America. He didnít foresee the grotesque buildings...that festered on the land, the tenements of stunted souls."
--Ross Lockridge, Jr., Raintree County, 1948
"The battle we have fought, and are still fighting...is a part of the eternal conflict between right and wrong, and we cannot expect to see the end of it."
--John Muir, Sierra Club Bulletin, January 1896
To contact me, click here!
Save Indiana's Endangered Wildlife
Look for the eagle on your Indiana tax form!
Buy an Environmental License Plate and save habitat for wildlife!
Plant Trees. Save Wetlands.
- Alaska Wildlife Alliance ... Working to protect Alaska's wildlife. A very professional web site that loads fast!
- American Rivers ... Keeping our rivers wild and free!
- Bat Conservation Internat'l ... Better than a UV bug-zapper, just one of these babies can snarf up 600 mosquites an hour on a hot summer night. Click to this site for more bat facts and specs for good bat houses.
- Bats, Bats Everywhere! ... More bats! For kids!
- Chemical Scorecard ... Toxic chemicals in YOUR community: what we know about them, what we don't and what you can do.
Conservation International ... CI uses science, economic policy and community involvement to promote biodiversity and save endangered ecosystems.
- Defenders of Wildlife ... Get action alerts and wildlife updates! Adopt an individual of your favorite threatened species!
- Dioxin Homepage ... There's a lot more to saving the Earth than saving Bambi and his mom from the hunters. Dioxins are a huge family of nasty compounds that persist in the environment with devastating results. Retired chemist Lewis Shadoff explains the molecules we wish we could un-invent.
- "Dioxins-R-Us" ... Another of many dioxin-related sites. UC/Davis toxicologist Michael Denison lends a satirical tone to a serious discussion of a grim topic.
- Earth Justice ... Riding tall in the saddle, the Earth Justice gang zaps environmental bad guys and tells YOU how to do the same. The Action Center tells you who to write, e-mail or picket to save YOUR planet!
- Earth Policy Institute ... Read about Lester Brown's "Plan B" to save the world's eco-economy from impending collapse.
- Environmental Defense ... From the people who bring you the Chemical Scorecard, here are more tools to keep Earth from being assimilated by the Borg.
- Environmental Law & Policy Center of the Midwest ... Serving six north-central states, ELPC targets transportation issues that impact the environment.
- Environmental News Network ... Just what it sounds like: news, features and special reports about the environment. Excellent resource for teachers.
- Environmental Working Group ... Environmental threats in YOUR county and state: air pollution, toxics, wetlands destruction and brownlash political contributors.
- Farewell to Stromness ... Guitar version of the whimsical, poignant melody for piano composed in 1980 by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies to protest uranium mining in the Orkney Islands.
- Friends of the Earth ... David Brower's pioneering organization works to give people control over the decisions that shape the environment ...and their lives.
- Global Warming ... The name says it all. From the USEPA.
- Global Warming Central ... Archived site from Pace Univ. School of Law
- Green Century ... Time Magazine's slick primer on environmental issues of the 21st century.
- Howling at a Waning Moon ... Bob Whitson tracks the Bush Administration's assault on the environment, our health, and our childrensí quality of life
- International Wildlife Coalition ... Adopt a whale!
Jim Norton's Anti-Environmental Myths Page ... Need help debunking brownlash myths and greenwash disinformation? Click to Jim's page.
- Monarchs & Migration ... The Minnesota Science Museum tells you all about everybody's favorite butterflies, including how to raise them.
- Nat'l Audubon Society ... A lot more than just birds!
- Nat'l Wildlife Federation ... One of America's premier environmental/conservation organizations gives you information on pending legislation that affects the environment. Sign up for Action Alerts and subscribe to some of the best wildlife conservation magazines around, both for kids and grown-ups.
Natural Resources Defense Council ... Creature close-ups, postcard central, action alerts, books, links.
- Nature Conservancy ... Saving the earth's last great places...by buying them!
- North American Bluebird Society ... Just birds. Bluebirds, that is. Learn how to help keep these little messengers of happiness in business as a species. Nestbox plans available on-site. No downloading necessary!
- Rainforest Action Network ... Protecting human rights and the environment in the tropics!
- Restore Hetch Hetchy! ... A century ago, John Muir lost the battle to save the magnificent Hetch Hetchy Valley from being flooded for a reservoir. The battle was lost, but the cause is not!
- Save the Dunes Council ... The band of fighting Hoosiers and Illini who won the battle to create the Indiana Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore tell their story.
- Save the Manatees ... Threatened by power boats and power plants, Florida's gentle "sea cows" touch our hearts. Adopt a manatee and take political action to help save North America's largest fresh-water mammal.
- Save the Sea Turtles ... Find out what you can do to help the Ridleys, Leatherbacks and Greens!
- Sierra Club ... From John Muir's century-old activist organization, a beautiful site that connects traditional conservation with human rights and trade. Updated weekly.
- Swimming to the Other Side ... Use Windows Media Player to hear this inspiring anthem of the Earth and the human spirit sung by Pat Humphries.
- Wilderness Society ... Visit the Wilderness Action Center. Subscribe to Wild Alerts.
Wildlife Conservation Society ... Headquartered at the Bronx Zoo, WCS uses education and field work to save wildlife and wild lands throughout the world.
- World Chelonian Trust ... What are chelonians? They're turtles and tortoises, that's what! Visit this site dedicated to the survival of our shell-backed friends and to their proper captive care.
- World Wildlife Fund ... A world without rhinos and tigers and elephants? No! If an endangered species is your bag, then this is your site.
- Save It! Don't Pave It!
- Mike Walter's Earth Page Attic ... The Old Muskrat maxed out on the space available on this page, so he's stashing more stuff in the attic. Click here for more links.
- Mike Walter's Wetlands Page. ... The Old Muskrat's first love: Lots of wetlands links with a special focus on Indiana.
- Mike Walter's Indiana Earth Page. ...Find out what Hoosiers are doing to protect their land, air and water.
- A Model Wetlands Ordinance for Indiana Communities ... The Old Muskrat's own work. Local protection for Indiana's wetlands.
- Want to know more about the Old Muskrat? Click here.
- Plant Trees. Save Wetlands.
(*) When you click on the links above, a new browser window will open.