This is a large brick mound structure , probably a unfinished stupa lyling close to sri maha bodhi. Untill recently this site was mistakenly identified as tomb of Elara. This location was identified as the Dhakkhina stupa by professor Paranavitana in 1946.
Based on the chronicals Professor also believed that this was place that remains of the hero king Dutugemunu's was cremated. According to him initially this was a small stupa which contained the remains of the king and enlarged at a later date.
On the south side of the stupa is a beautiful steel with top part missing. (see picture) The remaining part of the steel contains some finely crafted figure of God of Wealth (Vaisravana) .
June 30, 2007