Fire Safety Tips
If you wish to report a possible
hazardous condition, please dial 911
General Fire Safety Tips
Keep a fire extinguisher in your home and car, and
read the directions.
Dial 911 before attempting to attack the fire
your self, no matter how small the fire seems.
Remember that lives are much more valuable than property.
If you're out of the building, STAY OUT!
Don't smoke in bed.
Don't leave your cigarettes or other lit smoking
Keep ashtrays away from curtains, upholstered furniture,
and other combustibles.
Always look for the Underwriters Laboratory (UL)
labels when purchasing appliances, storage containers or electrical accessories.
Remember that smoke, heat and toxic gases from fires can kill you long
before flames get to your part of the structure. KEEP LOW when evacuating.
Home Fire Safety Tips
Set up Evacuation Drills In The Home (EDITH) - practice
evacuating your house, and meeting at the designated point OUTSIDE.
GET OUT of your house if you have a fire - call 911
from your neighbor's house.
Take a walk around your house, shed, garage and property.
Repair or discard any unsafe items, and make sure you have any flammable
materials stored safely.
Discard properly any soiled cleaning rags or towels.
Soiled material can spontaneously combust under certain conditions.
Clean your clothes dryer's filter between each load.
Pull your dryer out from the wall, and ensure that
there isn't a dangerous buildup of lint behind the dryer or in the exhaust
Make sure that everything you put in the dishwasher
is safe for dishwasher use - plastic can burn from contacting the heating
Fire Safety Tips for Travelers
Take a smoke detector with you, in case your hotel/motel
room doesn't have one installed.
Take a moment to note the evacuation route(s) and
instructions before you settle in for the night.
Fire Safety Tips Regarding Children
Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
Teach your children never to play with matches, lighters,
Teach your children how to call 911, as well as their
address and telephone number.
Teach your children the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" method
to extinguish flames on themselves.
Never "Barbecue" or grill indoors on a smoker or
barbecue grill. These devices are intended for outdoor use only.
Keep your grill at least 30 feet from any structures
- it's just an excellent idea.
Don't leave food unattended on the stove.
Keep dangling clothing away from burners.
Turn handles on pots and pans so that they can't
be knocked off the stove accidentally.
Keep appliances clean and free of grease and crumbs.
Make sure your stove is turned off and small appliances
unplugged before leaving the house or going to bed.
Make sure that storage areas are free from excess
clutter. It adds to the fire load, and can impede your evacuation as well
as our attack in case of an emergency incident.
Make sure that flammable materials are stored in
proper containers, well away from sources of heat or ignition.
Don't store gasoline in your house.
Don't fill your portable gasoline cans in your vehicle
- remove the can from the vehicle.
When transporting portable gasoline cans, ensure
that the container
is approved for gasoline storage
is sealed tightly
is not left in the vehicle for longer than absolutely
necessary, especially on a warm or sunny day.
If you smell gasoline or suspect a gasoline leak,
don't operate the car until the leak is repaired.
If you smell smoke or see flames, pull over well
off the traveled roadway as soon as safely possible to do so. Don't attempt
to drive any further.
Replace frayed or cracked electrical wiring.
Don't run electric power cords under rugs.
Donít overload drop cords.
Use correct fuses and circuit breakers
Plug electric space heaters directly into the wall
socket, not into extension cords.
Place heaters where they will not be knocked over
Unplug heaters when they are not being used.
Do not use heaters to dry clothing or other items.
Make sure your fireplace or wood burning stove is
clean and in good repair before using it.
Keep all combustible materials well away from the
Make sure you use the proper fuel for your heating
DON'T use gasoline in a kerosene heater.
DON'T burn coal in a device meant to burn wood.
Portable kerosene heaters are extremely dangerous
when not used properly. Always fill them when they are cool and never fill
Consider installing both a photoelectric and ionization
smoke detector in your house. While photoelectric detectors may react quicker
than ionization detectors, the photoelectric detectors may not detect the
black smoke generated by synthetic materials as quickly as the white smoke
generated by natural materials.
Check your smoke detectors monthly, and replace the
batteries in them in the spring and fall.
Install at least one smoke detector on each floor
of your house, away from air vents, and at least six inches away from walls
Install smoke detectors near bedrooms.
If there are any smokers in the house, install a
smoke detector in their bedroom.
If your smoke detector sounds while you are in bed,
DON'T SIT UP! Roll out of bed, and stay low to the floor - remember that
the heat and toxic gases are up higher.
If you burn anything in your house, such as wood,
natural gas, propane, kerosene, or coal, install a Carbon Monoxide (CO)
detector. This device can warn you of potentially deadly CO gas before
the concentration reaches the harmful level.
Learn the warning signs of CO poisoning: redness
of the skin, headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, loss of muscle control,
chest tightness, heart fluttering, sleepiness, confusion, vomiting or diarrhea.
If more than one person in the household is sick, and they feel better
after being away from the house for a while, CO poisoning should be suspected.
If you suspect CO poisoning, get out of the house and call the fire department.