The Old Muskrat's annotated links to useful environmental sites. |
(On the web, no one knows you're a muskrat.)
"Conservation is getting nowhere because it is incompatible with our Abrahamic concept of land. We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. There is no other way for land to survive the impact of mechanized man, nor for us to reap the esthetic harvest it is capable, under science, of contributing to culture."
--Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, 1948
"The battle we have fought, and are still fighting...is a part of the eternal conflict between right and wrong, and we cannot expect to see the end of it."
--John Muir, Sierra Club Bulletin, January 1896
We're having an event! Click here for details!
To contact me, send email to email@example.com or click this link email
- Environmental Defense Fund Chemical Scorecard ... Toxic chemicals in YOUR community: what we know about them, what we don't and what you can do.
- Environmental Working Group ... Environmental threats in YOUR county and state: air pollution, toxics, wetlands destruction and brownlash political contributors.
- Earth Justice ... Riding tall in the saddle, the Earth Justice gang zaps environmental bad guys and tells YOU how to do the same. The Action Center tells you who to write, e-mail or picket to save YOUR planet!
- Nat'l Wildlife Federation ... One of America's premier environmental/conservation organizations gives you information on pending legislation that affects the environment. Sign up for Action Alerts and subscribe to some of the best wildlife conservation magazines around, both for kids and grown-ups.
- Hoosier Environmental Council ... Standing like Fort Apache in the midst of one of America's most militantly brown states, HEC lobbies to make Indiana safe for terrestrial life. Check out this undervisited site with links to other groups dedicated to saving Indiana from the Once-lers.
- Environmental Defense Fund ... From the people who bring you the Chemical Scorecard, here are more tools to keep Earth from being assimilated by the Borg.
- World Wildlife Fund ... A world without rhinos and tigers and elephants? No! If an endangered species is your bag, then this is your site.
- Nat'l Audubon Society Directory ... A lot more than just birds!
- North American Bluebird Society ... Just birds. Bluebirds, that is. Learn how to help keep these little messengers of happiness in business as a species. Nestbox plans available on-site. No downloading necessary!
- Environmental Law & Policy Center of the Midwest ... Serving six north-central states, ELPC specializes in transportation issues that impact the environment, including the proposed Interstate 69 extension boondoggle in Southern Indiana.
- Citizens for Appropriate Rural Roads ... Speaking of I-69, is cutting eight minutes off the drive-time from Naptown to Tierra del Fuego really worth it? Link here to the folks who think that Indiana should fix the roads it already has. UPDATED FALL '98!
- Save the Dunes Council ... The band of fighting Hoosiers and Illini who won the battle to create the Indiana Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore tell their story.
- Sierra Club ... From John Muir's century-old activist organization, a beautiful site that connects traditional conservation with human rights and trade. Updated weekly.
- Monarchs & Migration ... The Minnesota Science Museum tells you all about everybody's favorite butterflies, including how to raise them.
- Michael Markes's Little Niche ... An informative Michigan-oriented conservation site skillfully composed by a Michigan State Univ. student .
- Earth-Sea ... Another undervisited site, Earth-Sea aspires to be the home to "all things environmental." Hoosiers should visit the site to keep tabs on the running battle to establish the Grand Kankakee Marsh Nat'l Wildlife Refuge.
- Bat Conservation Internat'l ... Bluebirds, butterflies and now... BATS! Better than a UV bug-zapper, just one of these babies can snarf up 600 mosquites an hour on a hot summer night. Click to this site for more bat facts and specs for good bat houses.
- Save the Manatees ... Threatened by power boats and power plants, Florida's gentle "sea cows" touch our hearts. Adopt a manatee and take political action to help save North America's largest fresh-water mammal.
- Environmental News Network ... Just what it sounds like: news, features and special reports about the environment. Excellent resource for teachers.
- EnviroNet ... K-12 resource maintained by Simmons College in Massachusetts. Environmental monitoring projects worth emulating.
- Dioxin Homepage ... There's a lot more to saving the Earth than saving Bambi and his mom from the hunters. Dioxins are a huge family of nasty compounds that persist in the environment with devastating results. Retired chemist Lewis Shadoff explains the molecules we wish we could un-invent.
- "Dioxins-R-Us" ... Another of many dioxin-related sites. UC/Davis toxicologist Michael Denison lends a satirical tone to a serious discussion of a grim topic.
- Nature Conservancy of Indiana ... Find out what America's biggest private land stewardship trust is doing to protect our endangered Hoosier landscape. Folks in NE Indiana will be interested in TNC's Fish Creek and Pigeon River ecosystem projects in Steuben and LaGrange counties.
- Fish Creek Direct Link ... Home to 43 fish species and 31 mussel species (three of them endangered), Fish Creek may support the most diverse stream community in the entire Great Lakes watershed.
- Pigeon River Direct Link ... Spring-fed marshes and Indiana's largest stand of tamarack trees make Pigeon River a unique Indiana wildlife habitat.
- ACRES ... The long-awaited site of Indiana's foremost land stewardship trust. Take a virtual hike through one of 35 ACRES nature preserves in NE Indiana.
- Great Lakes Watershed - 43 Areas of Concern ... Environment Canada lists 43 contamination hotspots in the world's largest freshwater ecosystem. The worst? The Grand Calumet River and Indiana Harbor Ship Canal. Click to link 22 for a profile of Indiana's contribution to an international disgrace. Click to link 30 for a profile of the Maumee River.
- American Rivers ... Dedicated to keeping our rivers wild and free!
- Friends of the Earth ... David Brower's pioneering organization works to give people control over the decisions that shape the environment ...and their lives.
- Bats, Bats Everywhere! ... More bats! For kids!
- Project LEAP ... Join Freddie the Frog in the Indiana Dep't of Environmental Management's "Learning & Environmental Awareness Partnership" program. Aimed at grades 3-8, LEAP offers teacher resources and invites junior scientists to monitor acid rain, track butterflies and study milkweeds to help build a database of Indiana's environmental health.
- Be Kind to Old Muskrats!
- Mike Walter's Earth Page Attic ... The Old Muskrat maxed out on the space available on this page, so he's stashing more stuff in the attic. Click here for more links.
- Mike Walter's Wetlands Page. ... The Old Muskrat's first love: Lots of wetlands links with a special focus on Indiana.
- A Model Wetlands Ordinance for Indiana Communities ... The Old Muskrat's own work. Local protection for Indiana's wetlands.
- Want to know more about the Old Muskrat? Click here.
- Plant Trees. Save Wetlands.
(*) When you click on the links above, a new browser window will open.