Site hosted by Build your free website today!

The nature of life in reality . . .

I do the rock!


Twenty-six years old . . . wow. Well, twenty six years and three days now but who's counting? I've had a very interesting time of it the past few days and I thought that recounting it here for you would be a good idea. Actually, I'm just trying to find a nice way of saying that I don't have anything more important to talk about. So here goes.

I wasn't feeling well on Thursday. I was very, very bored at work and the weather was oppressively hot. James called and suggested that I stop and pick up a movie on the way home. I thought it was a good idea at the time. After I got to the air-conditioned car I decided that more stops would not be prudent. I laid out on the couch and tried, unsuccessfully to cool off. James came in a bit later and tried, very successfully, to avoid the issue of my engagement ring. A friend of ours was making it and I knew that James was picking it up that afternoon. I also knew that he wasn't going to give it to me until my birthday. I put up with his silence well. I'm strange that way. I wait to open presents until my birthday. I wait to open Christmas gifts until after breakfast. I was a bit perturbed that he wouldn't discuss it, but I got over it rather quickly.

After he took a shower, James came in the living room with a Cheshire cat grin on his face. I knew what was coming but I had to pee. Women understand this. So, I hop up and go to the bathroom. Not three seconds later, James is standing in front of me proposing. I say yes, this is perfunctory as we are already planning a wedding, and try to contain my laughter. "I proposed to you on the toilet!" he says rather sheepishly. It's a good thing that I was on the toilet already or I would have peed my pants.

Thankfully, he waited until I was done with my business before actually giving me the ring. It's absolutely gorgeous. I knew what it was going to look like since I designed it, but seeing it was just breathtaking. Unfortunately, it is a little tight and I can't wear it first thing in the morning. So, I hang it on a chain around my neck until 10:00 or so. I need to have it sized, but Tootsie hasn't been in her office since Friday. I hope I can stand to give it back to her long enough.

We went to dinner with my family on Friday night. That was pleasant. This is good. I received a gift certificate for new tires . . . which I plan to put to good use very shortly. Mom and Dad were equally impressed with the ring, I think. After the celebration, James and I headed to lovely Olive Branch, Mississippi to drop off a laptop for one of his co-workers with a service call. Joy, joy, joy. At least James didn't have to take the call.

Saturday afternoon was uneventful. We napped and I went to Art Center to help the family pick out mats for some artwork. Then we got all "gothed" up and went to see The Blair Witch Project. I had seen it already, but it was still disturbing. James wasn't quite so impressed, but I think the crowd as a whole was pleased. After the flick we headed out to Newby's for some dinner and what was supposed to be Frankie Goes to Hollywood. This was more like Frankie goes to California, gets kidnapped outside of Fresno by Tito Jackson and some reject from Fishbone, is forced to eat snacky cakes, shop for tight fitting gold lame muscle shirts in Salvation Army thrift stores, don cheap leather pants, and repeat Tom Jones' dance moves from his 1979 Vegas act with Marilyn McCoo. If Holly isn't dead this is going to kill him. We left less than 20 minutes into the set. I draw the line at "friends of Hootie". You know things are bad when the yuppies start slow dancing as they heckle you. James had the best comment of the night perhaps. "He looks like somebody smacked him square in the ass with a two-by-four!" Unfortunately whatever they knocked loose landed in his belly.

The rest of the evening was pretty much a disaster. We tried to go to Backstreet, but refused to pay another $10 cover charge. The gang moved on to Amnesia, where we paid a $6 cover and ended up sitting in the jazz bar feeling old all night. I was too tired to boogie.

Sunday, we slept. I got up at noon, ate breakfast, and went to take a nap at 1:00. We got up at 5:15 and rushed to get to my grandmother's for a family birthday celebration. It was a long way out there. Then we drove home. James has a new laptop and we played with that for a while. Then, I went to bed.

I get to work this morning and I am thoroughly exhausted.

I guess I should have gotten more sleep.

read the archive