coldhandsdeadheart is an ongoing self-published project, used as a vehicle to expose the black ink drawings of Mike Twohig. He uses chdh as motivation to refine drawing skills and develope an identifiable and unique look. Notice the experimentation and progression in styles with the examples given on this site. chdh has consistently appeared in the form of a 4.25in X 5.5in photocopied booklet. Mike is from Erie,Pa and currently lives near Rochester,Ny where he received a BFA/Illustration from Rochester Institiute of Technology in 2001. If you have any questions or comments pertaining to chdh, or if you are interested in obtaining any copies, email Mike at the bottom of this page.
- coldhandsdeadheart was mainly inspired by the work of Raymond Pettibon...more so by the format in which he presented his drawings, in the form of photocopied booklets.
- The first four volumes are basically collections of my initial attempts at ink drawing (with the exception of some pencil drawings in vol. 2 & 3 ), dating back to the summer of 1999.
- The number of copies made has steadily increased to 160 for vol. 12 & 13, and 200 for vol.14, 16,and 17.
- During the fall of 2002, I started mailing packages of vol. 10-13 to publications with the intention of getting exposure and illustration work.
- Besides being a form of expression and an exercise in drawing and writing, chdh is meant to be a springboard for discussion on interpretation between the artist and audience.
- Feedback is strongly encouraged and may affect the direction of this project. The content and subject matter will indefinitely evolve as my interests change course
click on links to see the cover and sample drawings from each volume
volumes 1, 2, 3, 4
volumes 5 & 6
volumes 7 & 8
volumes 9 & 10
volumes 11 & 12
volumes 13 & 14
volumes 16 & 17
volumes 18 & 19
PAINTINGS AND DRAWINGS