Site hosted by Build your free website today!

This magnificent Victorian mansion in Cairo, Illinois dates back to 1869 and has been visited by Ulysses S. Grant.

Charles A. Galigher was a prominent citizen of Cairo and a milling merchant, who accumulated a fortune by selling flour to the government during the Civil War.  Through business transactions, he became a friend of General Ulysses S. Grant, who made his headquarters in Cairo during his siege of the South.

In 1869, after the war, Mr. Galigher began construction of the four-storied red brick Victorian mansion on a two acre site on Washington Avenue.  In 1872, it was completed and the fourteen rooms became home to Charles Galigher, his wife Adelia Lippit Galigher, and their three sons, Frank, Albert, and Charles Frederick.

From 1872 until 1952, the mansion had only four private owners: Charles Galigher, H.H. Candee, P.T. Langan, and Fain W. King.

In 1952, the Cairo Historical Association was formed and decided to undertake the preservation of this home as its initial project.  The Galigher home became Magnolia Manor, a Victorian museum, where today visitors admire the high-celinged, spacious, and splendidly appointed rooms.

Because the Galigher house was the scene of the Grant visit and reception and because it is an outstanding example of Italianate architecture and typifies a fine Southern Illinois home of the period, it was included in the Illinois Section of the Historic American Building Survey.  In 1969, it was entered on the National Register of Historic Places.

Magnolia Manor is open to the public daily.
Monday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Museum is closed from
Christmas Eve to New Year's Day annually.

Group tours may be arranged by calling (618-734-0201).

Photo Feature
Magnolia Manor Events
BACK to Alexander County Page