Pmahc's Spinal Cord Injury Page
On May 09,1997, I went to work; I was working for my father-in-law, doing concrete construction. We were doing the concrete work for our church's new building. As I was finishing a pad, the partially built structure collapsed, burying me underneath! The result...life as a c5 quadriplegic. My fifth cervical vertebrae was crushed and my spinal cord stretched and nicked. Yes, a nick is all it takes folks. Since it was not completely severed, my injury is referred to as incomplete.
Looking at the image above, right after my accident, I had very weak deltoids and biceps and the functions higher. I use an electric wheelchair for mobility now and am surviving. Below, are various links I have collected dealing with spinal cord injury. I hope they give more guidance and explanation to spinal cord injuries.
SCI Hospitals|Magazines|Associations/Organizations|Service Animals|Home Automation|Wheelchairs|ADL/Medical Supplies|Email Lists|Independent Living|Personal Homepages
- New Mobility- New Mobility's Interactive Cafe, the largest community on the web for disability news, resources and culture
- Enable Magazine
- Reach Out Magazine is more than just a Web magazine, it's a meeting place for disabled persons all over the world.
- WE Magazine the lifestyle magazine for people with disabilities. It's about men and women being the very best they can be.
- ABILITY Magazine The Voice of Over 50 Million Americans With Disabilities.
- The Able Informer the international resource newsletter for people with disabilities.
- The Ragged Edge Disability-rights culture, ideas, revolution, humor ... the best you've known with The Disability Rag, now even better.
- Mainstream Magazine of the Able-Disabled
- My Handi-Capable Reporter Newsletter by and for the Disabled
- The National Spinal Cord Injury Association- an interactive community for the world of spinal cord injuries
- Cure Paralysis- The Original Web Site for the Advancement of the Cure for Spinal Cord Paralysis
- American Paralysis Association- a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to encourage and support research to find a cure for paralysis caused by spinal cord injury and other central nervous system disorders
- World Association of Persons with Disabilities- a Nonpartisan, Nonprofit World Association / Ministry under God, dedicated to the approximately one in five residents of earth that strive to be Alive, Involved, and Effective in their daily living
- National Alliance Of The DisAbled- is an online informational and advocacy organization dedicated to working towards gaining equal rights for the disAbled in all areas of life
- American Disabled for Attendant Programs Today- to ensure that people with disabilities have full and complete access to the community in which they reside
- Accessible Space, Inc- to provide accessible, affordable, community-based independent and supportive living opportunities for adults with mobility impairments and/or brain injuries
- Cure- to raise significant amounts of money for Spinal Cord Injury Research Worldwide
- Acorda Therapeutics- was established in 1995 to develop therapeutic products for Spinal Cord Injury and other Central Nervous System conditions
- SERVICE ANIMALS
- Dr. P's Assistance Dogs-Information related to dogs that help folks with disabilities.
- Canine Assistants-Canine Assistants is a non-profit organization which adopts dogs from
shelters and rescue organizations. We train these animals to assist children and adults in the Southeast who have impaired mobility or other special needs.
- Sedona Service Dogs-Our programs enrich the lives, empower, and increase the potential of those we serve.
- Service Dogs Connection
- Canine Companions for Independence- a nonprofit organization that provides highly trained assistance dogs to people with disabilities and to professional caregivers providing pet assisted therapy
- HOME AUTOMATION
- X-10- the SuperSite for Home Automation
- Home Automated Living- The Source for Voice Controlled Digital Home Systems Integration Software
- Smarthome-largest home automation distributor in the US. X10,home security, surveillance, HVAC, audio / video, phone controls, pet care products. Free catalog upon request.
- Advanced Services Inc.-Home automation product guide to X10 and X-10 compatible home automation systems available by mail order.
- Interactive Home-To make your home more desirable and appealing, you gave much thought to the right floor plan, chose a dramatic exterior, and included the finest products and brand names for your
home. However, no product you put into your home or any other option you choose, will provide you with the convenience, security and peace of mind as that of an InteractiveHome automation system.
- Redman Power Chair-Life's a trip. At Redman Power Chairs we have spent years perfecting the ride. Our new Chief SR standing/ reclining / independent power leg / power chair is the perfect ride for the new millinium. Drop us a note today for a test drive in your home.
- Permobil Home-Welcome to Permobil. The Art of mobility since 1968.
- Invacare Corp - World's Leading Maker of Wheelchairs, Respiratory Products and Medical Equipment-Invacare Corporation is the world's leading manufacturer of wheelchairs, respiratory products and other home health care and mobility products for people with disabilities. The company is located in Elyria, Ohio, and has manufacturing plants in the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Invacare's products are distributed worldwide through more than 10,000 provider locations.
- WHEELCHAIRJUNKIE.COM-The world's only unbias source for wheelchair news and reviews.
- ALL TERRAIN WHEELCHAIRS -- A Hybrid Adaptive Mobility System- A Hybrid Adaptive Mobility System
- SportAid-MedAid Wheelchairs & Supplies-SPORTAID a discount mail order company for all your wheelchairs & wheelchair supplies.
- ADL/MEDICAL SUPPLIES
- Disability and Medical Resource Directory-of disability products, medical products and resources for the disabled, elderly, caregivers and healthcare providers.
- Welcome to M.O.M.S. Mail Order Medical Supply-We have the lowest prices for all your home healthcare needs. We also carry unique, hard-to-find products. Free delivery on orders over $65, only $3.00 for orders under $65.
- The Boulevard - A healthcare site for the disabled by the disabled-A Healthcare and disability site for disabled individuals to learn about products and services
- HealthAnswers: Your sole source for health information-HealthAnswers provides FREE health care information to consumers from sources such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Health Council
- R.D. Equipment, Inc-R.D. Equipment manufactures products to increase accessibility and independence. The Tub Slide Shower Chair eliminates the need for a roll-in shower, and the Electric Leg Bag Emptier helps with urinary incontinence
- The Disability Resource-Whitaker & Associates is a company that provides information and resources for and about the disability industry to people with disabilities and companies that need to reach the 46 million people with disabilities nationwide. Our mission is to be the best disability information provider & facilitator in the world by aligning our goals with the thousands of organizations and associations nationwide, by devoting our resources to gathering the best information available, by developing new and innovative information/marketing vehicles and by answering the information needs of everyone with a disability.
- extensions for independence home page-designer and manufacturer of special products for the disabled: mouthsticks, turntable desks, motorized easel, file trays, cumputer keylocks, etc.
- RAND-SCOT - EasyPivot Transfer Machines-easypivot transfer lift & standing frames for paraplegic and quadriplegic use in home, hospital, nursing home, rehab center
- Sammons Preston - A Bissell Healthcare Company-dedicated to providing rehabilitation professionals and caregivers around the world with the rehabilitation, assisted-living and developmental products they need to help clients and loved ones live their lives to the fullest. We carry a wide selection of products for use in home, school, rehabilitation and long-term care facilities.
- EMAIL LISTS
- HSRC Knowledge Center-Disability-Lists dealing with disability information and support make up a solid and important portion of Human Services Resource Center at St. Johns University Maelstrom Lists.
- PCA-Personal Care Assistance is a discussion list for people with disabilities who use the services of Personal Care Assistants.
- MOBILITY- Mailing List
- Quad-List-a forum for quadriplegics (tetraplegics) to communicate with others who share the same condition.
Pmahc's Spinal Cord Injury Rings