Chicago & North Western Railroad
Links to C&NW Sites
Here are links to just a few of the Web sites which provide information about the Chicago & North Western railroad. I'm also including a few interesting general railroad links. [The days of the C&NW building sign (above left) near the Chicago Passenger Terminal are sadly numbered.]
Riverside Building walkway to the Chicago Passenger Terminal.
- Chicago & North Western Historical Society
- "The Society's purpose is to collect, circulate and preserve the history of the C&NW, its predecessors and merged lines; to create and publish a newsletter or magazine; and promote fellowship among C&NW fans and Society members."
- U.S. Library of Congress C&NW Photographs
- The U.S. Library of Congress has and extensive collection of railroad photographs among their American Memory collections.
- Galena & Chicago Union RR map 1862
- Map showing the location of the Gelena & Chicago Union Railroad with its branches & connections in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. From the Railroad Maps 1828-1900 collection of the U.S. Library of Congress.
- Chicago & North Western RR map 1862
- Map showing the location of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway with its branches & connections through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan. From the Railroad Maps 1828-1900 collection of the U.S. Library of Congress.
- Chicago & North Western RR map 1882
- Map showing the Chicago & North Western Railway in Dakota with its branches & connections. From the Railroad Maps 1828-1900 collection of the U.S. Library of Congress.
- Chicago Great Western RR map 1897
- Map showing the location of the Chicago Great Western Railway "Maple Leaf Route." From the Railroad Maps 1828-1900 collection of the U.S. Library of Congress.
- Chicago & North Western Railway Photo Archive and Railfan's Guide
- Limited to C&NW motive power, this site does have some very nice photographs.
- Chicago & North Western photo site
- Another personal Web site with a nice collection of photos.
- Union Pacific Equipment Locator
- "Where is that train heading?" and "I wonder how long those cars have been there?" are among the questions this site will help answer. You can locate up to 100 units in a single query. The Union Pacific Railroad Web site has a limited (but interesting) amount of historical information.
- Illinois Railway Museum
- The IRM collection includes a variety of C&NW equipment, including the first GP-7 locomotive (C&NW 1518) and the first C&NW bi-level commuter coach (C&NW 1) and cab-coach (C&NW 151), as well as various C&NW and CGW passenger and freight equipment.
- National Model Railroad Association
- The NMRA Web site includes one of the most comprehensive list of links to railroad-related Web sites, as well as information about modeling.
- NMRA Directory of World Wide Rail Sites
- "The NMRA Directory is a categorized listing of 'hyperlinks' to prototype and model railroading websites around the world. Many of these sites have been created by folks who love the hobby."
- Operation Lifesaver
- "Operation Lifesaver is a nationwide, non-profit public information program dedicated to eliminating collisions, injuries and fatalities at highway-rail grade crossings and on railroad rights-of-way."
Photographs and text copyright © Harold A. Driscoll, 1998. All rights reserved.