Enter the Archives here.
? ? ? Archaic Computer
Q & A ! ! !
The Archaic Computer Gallery
dieHard Back Issues!!!! commodore 8-bit support
Back to NC Home Page
This page was updated: February 13, 2018
Jump to month:
Back to the subject at hand.
Ok, so with billions, er hundreds of hires pictures and I mean hires -- 6000*4000 pixels, large ass mothers, time kinda becomes a matter. We recently took a once- in- a- lifetime family vacation. We took 18 days and went to Washington DC, and Colonial Williamsburg. Antony drove he, his little brothers and I to Salt Lake where we spent part of the night in a motel, then caught a train to Chicago, New York and finally DC. I had the small Canon, the iPad, iPod, and iPhone -- all of which take pictures. The Nikon traveled with the rest of the family. The girls went with Mia in the Big Van and that is where the Nikon D3400 DSLR rode.
There were five folders in the end, with around 1000 pictures in each. A few lowres pics, but mostly those huge 6kx4k buggers. After combing through them and deleting some duds, fixing some crooked, or underexposed, or distorted ones, sometimes saving a copy, sometime overwriting the original, they all fit on a 32Gig USB stick with 44Megs free. Zowie.
The first step is to open Dolpin, sort by date -- newest first, then open the folder and click on the first picture. This opens Gwenview. I can browse the images in order and decide several things from there. Hitting [f] shows the actual size, zooming in, larger than my window. I can then tell if an image really is in focus or if it is a soft focus or simply a blur. You'd be surprised at how sharp a picture this size can look when squeezed into a window less than a 1000 pixels wide.
One of the features of a modern OS, at least with KDE on Linux, is that you can customize your tool bar. For this project I realized I wanted things a bit different from default.
In Gwenview I arranged the tools in a way that the ones I need the most access to in a way they are all together, to the left on the top line (since the bottom line disappears to be accessed via an arrow menu).
In GIMP, I opened preferences and went into the toolbox and added THRESHOLD, LEVELS, CONTRAST/BRIGHTNESS. I also changed their order and changed the width of the toolbox to make things go easier.
Once the PRGs are setup, I simply open the folder I am working from in Dolpin. Remember, I have Dolpin setup to sort by date, most recent first. This will let me click later on the first file in the list and Gwenview will open up on the most recent picture, placing me close to when I left off in the last session. When starting, of course I simply opened the first file in the series so that I can move through them chronologically from start to finish. Since there are so many pictures, it is nice to come back and basically, click on the last modified picture to get Gwenview to display the last picture I edited. Even if I've gone through several other photos, this is a quick way to get back to where I left off. Gwenview lets me browse pictures one at a time, in order of file name.
If I need to rotate a picture 90 degrees or any increment there of, I can simply use Gwenview. Cropping is also easier and faster with Gwenview. But if I need to change anything else, like rotation by 3.2 degrees, or brightness, or perspective, I can go to the "Open In" menu and open the image in GIMP.
I started the process of going through these pictures in Mid November and finished them a few weeks ago in late January. I deleted and altered many pictures, some I save alternate edits by adding "b" to the filename, but still in the end wound up with about the same number of pictures. Somewhere in the 5000 images range. They fill a 32Gig stick.
I plan to place select images in a slideshow. It should be quite interesting in the end.
Back to top.
I have been customizing several Kubuntu installs, including this one (de Berry). Placing PRGs on the GRUB boot page, custom login pictures etc. Now, you know I love Kubuntu. But the the default boot screen was not necessarily to my liking. The splash screen for KDE5 that comes with Kubuntu 16.04 is hidious.
The background is kinda interesting, but mostly dorky looking. I tried the usual channels, inside system preference, etc. There seemed to be no easy way to change it. I selected a new background picture, but it would't display it. So I finally started diggin around to find the offending image.
Some images are stored in .vgsz files or some variation of this container. But after some searching, I found mostly nuts and bolts to build parts of apps, and so forth. I then remembered that the system supported only specifically formed .jpgs, but favored the.png image format. After all, all the other custom pix I used are .png in flavor -- and I did nothing more than simply save the images as .png files and the system handled them with no problems.
Knowing this, I searched for .png files. Hmm, this one is called background.png. I opened it in Gwenview, and yes!, it was that eye sore that I was ready to exterminate!
OK, so it is never a good idea to just delete stuff the system uses. So I simply renamed it by adding HIDE to the file name, in case I needed to backtrack. I opened Dolpin via the terminal as superuser:
This opened up a root controlled window. I clicked my way into the folder (I most likely cut the location from the Dolpin search I had done earlier then pasted it into the superuser location) renamed the offending file then dumped my pretty picture in, having already named it background.png.
Upon reboot, I saw the my picture slide into place, followed by KDE's cool translucent progress bar frame. Nice.
All's well that ends well.
Back to top.
The following are for archival purposes :