How To Make A Cloth Diaper Cake
What Makes Cloth Diaper Cakes So Cool?
- They make GREAT baby shower gifts!
- It's a good way to introduce cloth diapers to a new mom
- They make beautiful baby shower centerpieces
This is truly a "basic cake", and not even made with
brand-new diapers! I will put up a photo of a more
"finished" cake when I get the materials needed. This
photo is up to give you an idea of what a diaper cake
can look like.
- 1 doz prefolds, folded in 3rds, lengthwise
- 7 pairs infant socks
- 16-20 diaper pins
- 1 recieving blanket
- optional: goodies to fold into the cake
- Fold the prefolds into 3rds lengthwise
- Roll up the recieving blanket. It will become the
center of the cake. Measure to make sure it's long
enough for the prefolds to wrap around it, but not so
long that it will stick out the top of the cake. See
pic above to see how I got the length just right.
- Roll the prefolds around the recieving blanket to
make the cake, pinning to secure the diapers in place
as needed. For this cake, I used 7 prefolds for the
base, 4 prefolds for the middle layer, and 1 prefold
for the top.
- ***Here's a fun tip!*** Roll goodies up in
cake as you go: diaper covers, bibs, natural toys,
cloth wipes, cloth nursing pads... whatever you think
the recipient might like!
- Use ribbon to further secure the diapers in place
and "dress up" the cake a little.
- Take each sock and tie a ribbon near the toe. Place
these in the cake to act as "candles" or, if you prefer,
- Voila! You have a Cloth Diaper Cake!
This is a fun project to experiment with. Add your own
touches for a truly unique gift! Here are some
alternate ideas I came up with:
- Add lace around the edges for a "ruffled" look
- Put a toy or stuffed animal on top, or use fresh
flowers as a topper
- Do everything in unbleached organic cotton and tie
with raffia instead of ribbon
- Make a "mini cake" out of cloth wipes or wash cloths
to go with the big one
Back to Main Page