The history of the Jewish area of Pest was started later.
document had been found, where in 1406 a Jewish man, called Saul asked for the
copy of the Jewish Lows, edited by the king Béla the IV.
Some Jewish houses
stood already on the Pest side in 1504, but it was not possible to live with the
inside the city walls. The first houses were built up
outside in the former Lipótváros and Terézváros area.
The Jews travelled
every day from Óbuda here, outside the walls had been the State Markets ( at the
place of the Erzsébet tér). They could rented rooms, warehouses in the later
built Orczy House, that become the cultural and social centre of the Jewish.
Café houses, synagogues, 120 flats and many warehouses were built inside.
Habsburg authorities issued in the name of the emperor Jozsef the II. the
deregulation laws "Gentis Judaical regulatio, De Judaeis memorandum" , to cancel
all the forbidden laws.
After some year of hesitation the local city
counsel permitted to settle down of the Jews from 1786.
population ground up from 1787 ( 81,000 Jews) to 1840 up to 239,000 Jewish
inhabitants. That was the golden period for emancipation and acceptation. For
1849, when the revolutionary government recognised the Emancipation Laws, from
the whole country inhabitants 5% were of Jews, in PestBuda of 20%.
Ferenc József issued the well awaited acceptation laws in 1867. For the
beginning of the 20 th sanctuary there were 900,000 Jews in big size Hungary,
93% of them were inhabitants of the united tree towns born under the name
The urban life helped for the forming by Jews an intellectual
segment of the sociality: literature, music, literature, theatre and cinema,
banking sector, large industrial companies and European commercial
The young Theodor Herzl was born here,
for 6 th of September
1859 here was built the largest synagogue of the World, the Dohány utca (
Tobacco str.) Synagogue.
collapsed into ruins after the I. WW on beside of Austria and Germany. The
country had lost 71% of her territory, 13 million of her inhabitants and also
the half of the Jews.
In the same year, Hungary bought in the first anti-Jewish
law in Europe (numerous Clauses) and has actively sought revenge for its lost
territories by aligning itself with the burgeoning nazi movement in
The oldest Jewish cemetery on the Pest side was established
in the 18th century.
The location had been somewhere in Kobánya ( BP. X.
district), at the so called area of Újhegy ( New mountain).
Later, about 200
years after, a new inside the city cemetery was opened at the catholic Váci út
cemetery, today at the Vámház korút.