Improving Courses through Embedded Assessment and Course Portfolio Review
Outcomes Mapping for Assessment
· List program learning outcomes.
· Identify courses that contribute to each outcome.
· Target a course or courses for assessment.
· Review syllabi and identify related SLOs and means of assessment.
Hands-on activity: participants will complete an outcomes mapping exercise.
Developing and Implementing the Annual Assessment Plan
· Specify SLOs to be assessed in 2009-10.
· Identify assignments in which assessment will be conducted.
· Select assessment procedures.
· Specify student performance criteria.
· Conduct assessment activities.
· Evaluate data and report findings.
· Close the loop.
Hands-on activity: participants will develop an annual assessment plan.
Creating a Course Improvement Plan
· Study findings from assessment activities and a review of course portfolios.
· Determine areas needing improvement.
· Specify course effectiveness outcomes (CEOs).
· Select teaching methods and/or evaluation techniques for each CEO.
· Identify criteria for success.
Hands-on activity: participants will create a course improvement plan.
Dr. Larry Kelley