Site hosted by Build your free website today!




The Quad City Ice Eagle Bantam travel team suffered its first defeat of the season as they lost a Sunday morning contest to the Springfield Kings by a score of 3-1.  The loss was the first in CIHL play, evening the Eagles’ record at 1-1.  It was not a total lost weekend for QC, which played the Springfield A2 team and came away with a 6-3 win in the game that was played Saturday night. Game summaries follow.


In the first game of the weekend, the Eagles took on the Springfield A2 team.  The Eagles came out flying, scoring their first goal on the initial shift of the game, with Austin Busch all alone just outside the crease to jam in his first of the night, with assists going to Will Hegwein and Josh Moon.  Just over four minutes later, that line was again buzzing the Springfield net, and Josh Moon converted a pass from Hegwein to increase the lead to 2-0.  The Eagles then went into their customary second period doldrums as Springfield’s Johnson scored twice within three minutes to tie the game at two.  After the teams finished the second period still tied, Moon gave the Eagles a 3-2 lead on an unassisted goal just 15 seconds into the third period.  Less than a minute later, Moon got his hat trick on another nice pass from Hegwein.  Springfield closed to within 4-3 with just under five minutes to play, but the Moon line put the game out of reach with two more goals within 15 seconds.  Busch scored his second of the night with 3:34 left, with assists going to Hegwein and Moon, and Moon finished the scoring with his fourth of the game with 3:19 remaining, with Hegwein picking up his fifth assist of the game.  Brandon Morgan played another solid game in goal to pick up his fourth straight win.


On Sunday morning, the Eagles faced off with the AA Kings, a team which had beaten the Eagles in four straight games last year.  Springfield opened the scoring at the 8:35 mark, when May beat Goalie Brandon Kruse on a rebound of a shot by Baron.  Less than a minute later, the Kings upped the lead to 2-0, converting a two-on-one opportunity.  He Eagles had their chances during the second period, aided by four straight power play chances, as the Kings continued to play the kind of stupid, chippy hockey that they are known for throughout the league.  But the Eagles were off in their passing game, and the Springfield goalie was able to maintain his shutout until Moon finally scored a power play goal at the 6:26 mark to close the margin to one goal.  The third period saw Springfield re-take the initiative, outshooting the Eagles 8-2, and forcing Kruse to make some big stops to keep the margin at one.  When Springfield’s Reeves was sent off the ice for high sticking with 1:26 to play, the Eagles had one last chance to go for the tie, but Springfield’s Baron nailed an empty net goal from over 100 feet to ice the victory for the Kings.


The weekend split left the Eagles with an overall record of 7-1, 1-1 in the CIHL standings, with their next two games coming at home Saturday against the talented Pekin Flyers.