Posted Monday, March 1 6:15pm

Iowa City

Site hosted by Build your free website today!

DAVENPORT -- The Quad City Ice Eagle Bantam hockey team tuned up for the March 6-7 tournament in Zion by breaking open a close game with the Iowa City Midget Select Team, and cruising to a 10-2 victory in a game played Sunday afternoon at the QCSC. Josh Moon had a hat trick and seven other Eagles scored goals in the decisive win.

Because the Pekin A team declined to play the Eagles, Coach Jerry Moon had to scramble to secure some game action for his team, and the Iowa City Midget team accepted the opportunity to gain some valuable experience. Moon staked the Eagles to a 1-0 lead three minutes into the first period, with assists going to Jason Corcoran and Austin Busch. Four minutes later, Busch set up his other linemate, Grant Reuter, who scored the second goal as the period ended with the Eagles up 2-0.

Iowa City's Brett Loyd put his team on the board three minutes into the second period on the power play with Kevin Dow off for slashing. Five minutes later, Iowa City tied the game on a long shot from just inside the blue line, and it appeared the visitors had the momentum. But the turning point of the game came during the final minute of the second period when Moon scored his second of the game, assisted by Dave Warta, to recapture the lead with 46 seconds remaining in the second. Then with only 12 seconds left in the period, Austin Busch's shot from the left wing appeared to be deflected off an Iowa City defenseman and into the net to rebuild the lead to two goals at 4-2.

Drew Carlson scored in the first minute of the third period, assisted by both linemates, John Carr and Ryne Takacs to make the score 5-2. The wheels really came off for Iowa City later in the period when the Eagles scored four goals in a span of just one minute and three seconds to put the game totally out of reach.

Warta started the barrage when he skated through the whole IC team to score unassisted at 5:34. Twenty seven seconds later, Adam Oppendike made it 7-2 with another unassisted tally. Just eight seconds later, Kevin Dow scored, assisted by Oppendike. Twenty-eight seconds after Oppendike's goal, Moon completed his hat trick, again assisted by Busch and Corcoran. The game's final goal was scored by John Carr, assisted by Takacs and Carlson. The Eagle offense really took control in the third period, putting 20 shots on goal, to win the shots battle 39-23 for the game.

The win improves the Eagles' record to 24-16-1, as they prepare for the final two weekends of the season. They play tournaments at Zion next week and Chesterfied, Missouri the following week to round out the season.

Game Summaries || Statistics || Schedule || Player Bios
Results || Records || Pictures || Standings || Roster