Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Selsfield Common, West Sussex
This seven acres of woodland has been in the possession of The National Trust since it was donated, in 1912, by Lord Arthur Hill of Old House. In 1914, the West Hoathly Parish council entered into an agreement with the National Trust to maintain the area as an open space and to preserve its natural aspect. Although part of West Hoathly Parish, Selsfield Common is closer to Turners Hill and in fact comes under the ecclesiastical parish of St Leonard's. The common is bisected by a Roman road and today there is talk of opening a public footpath between Turners Hill and Selsfield Common. This would be very welcome to those living on the common who currently are unable to walk to the Village without risking life and limb on the busy B2028 road between Haywards Heath and Crawley Down.

Once the area around the common was a thriving community with a 'smock' Mill and even its own public house, The Barley Mow. Today, both landmarks have gone but the Mill was in use until as recently as 1905. Just to the south of the common is Forge Cottage which has been built on the site of the old Forge and next door stands The Old Granary which still boasts evidence of the old trapdoor and adzed beams to allow the sacks of grain to be hoisted onto the upper floor. 

Until the mid-nineteen forties The Old Granary was home to a wheelwrights and anecdotal evidence tells us that the wheelwright would construct wheelbarrows and deliver them on foot to customers not further away than Haywards Heath (a mere eight miles to the south)! To the rear of the cottage stands the brick water tower constructed around 1903 and resembling Rapunzel's Castle. The water tower is still in use today and can be reached by foot along the wooded lane adjoining The Old Granary. Today the owners are Alison and Andrew Denley.

 

 

 

 2002 WWW.Selsfield.co.uk or WWW.Selsfield.net. Email: Contact@Selsfield.net