The Promises of Jesus Christ to His Holy Church
(as recorded in Holy Writ)
“Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.” 1 Thess 5:21-22
Why would any sober person call Jesus Christ "God" if they didn't think He could keep His promises? What are the Promises of Jesus Christ? Since any history book or encyclopedia confirms that Protestantism, Protestant ideas, Protestant doctrines and even Protestants themselves did not exist in the first millennium, and the Catholic Faith was the only Christian Faith in the first millennium, what promises did Christ bestow upon the Church He created in Matt 16:16-19?
(Ref: 2 Dozen "Logic and Historical Facts" refuting the Apostolicity and Biblicism of the Modern Christian belief systems.)
What does Our Lord and Savior and the Holy Bible itself say about the Church Christ founded, the Only Christian faith for a millennium? If we as Christians believe the "Words and Promises of Jesus Christ" and what the Holy Bible says about Christ's Church, then logically the Catholic Faith, (the only Christian Faith of the first millennium) is true and protected by the Holy Spirit (in matters of faith and morals) as per His Promises.
Conversely (and in accordance with the laws of logic), if the Catholic Faith is apostate and its faith corrupted (as Protestantism and its offshoots allege), because there was no other Christian faith in the first millennium, then the Promises of Christ to this Church ring hollow. This in turn renders Jesus either a fraud or a liar or both for not doing what He said He would do for His Church. Read the Promises of Christ, the verses most likely not underlined in your Bible nor taught in your present church.
These are but some of the Promises of Jesus Christ that He made to:
"The church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of Truth" 1 Tim 3:15
(Either the Church Christ founded is the pillar and foundation of Truth,
or it isn't and Scripture is in error.)
"And I say that thou art Peter, and on this rock I will build my church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it" Matt 16:16-19
(Either the gates of Hell overcame His Church and Christ is a fraud, or they didn't and He is true to His Word.
If He is true to His Word, why would a Christian reject the Church He made this promise to?)
"I give you the keys to kingdom of Heaven, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven and what ever you loosen on earth will be loosened in Heaven." Matt 16:16-19.
(Either the Church that Christ started has the power from Christ Himself to bind on earth (and Heaven), or Christ's words and power are null. Why would a Christian reject the Faith that has Christ's full power and authority to bind and loose?)
"Teach them to observe all I have taught you and behold I am with you always until the end of the world" Matt 28:20.
(Since the Apostles did not live forever, this promise is to His Holy Church. Either He is with it "until the end of the world" or He lied or failed to keep His promise. Yet if Jesus Christ really is true to His Word, how can a Christian justify rejecting the faith Christ "said" He would be with until the end of time?)
In Matt 18:17 Christ himself admonishes his disciples to: "hear his Church".
"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." Matthew 18:17
(Christians can choose to listen to His Church or, as per Jesus Christ, they should be treated like a tax collector. Where in the Holy Bible does it give a Christian the liberty to reject Christ's Church or by personal preference, not listen to it?)
"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy,
cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and
to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless."
(Either the Church Christ's started is Holy as He proclaimed it to be, or He is a liar. Why would a Christian follow Christ if He is a liar?
Christ called his Church: His very body. The body of Christ.
"And he is the head of the body, the church" Colossians 1:18 and
"Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church." Colossians 1:24
(If the Church Christ started is not His very Body, then scripture is in error. How can a Christian reject Christ's Church, the very Body of Christ, and still claim to be a Christian or "follower" of Jesus Christ?)
"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth" John 16: 12-13
(Either the Spirit of God guides His Holy Church to all truth (in matters of faith or morals), or the Promises of Christ are broken and He never sent His Spirit as He promised to which render Jesus Christ a fraud.)
Jesus promises His infant Church His blessing and His Father's full authority (even forgive sins).
So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained." John 20:22-23
If we call Jesus Christ "God", should we not take Him at His word?
Either we as Christians and followers of Jesus Christ
believe the Promises of Christ to His Holy Church or we don't.
"He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me,
and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me" (Luke 10:16).
Are you one who rejects the Only Christian faith of the first millennium? Again, either we embrace and follow the Promises of Christ or we don't. Either Christ is true to His Word and the "The church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of Truth" is what Christ says it is: Holy, His very Body, its theology without blemish able to withstand and defeat the Gates of Hell, that it should be listened to and not rejected and He will be with it until the end of the world, either Christ's Words are True, or Christ is a liar, a fraud or both.
What do you choose as a follower of Jesus Christ?
Test this. Since any history book or encyclopedia confirms that Protestantism, Protestant ideas, Protestant doctrines and even Protestants themselves did not exist in the first millennium, and the Catholic Faith was the only Christian Faith in the first millennium, should we embrace the Church Christ's started? If we call ourselves Christians, is it not incumbent upon us to follow what Christ actually taught and embrace His Words, no matter where it leads us and no matter what it costs us?
Or are we free to reject His Church, His teachings, His very Word to the very Body of Christ, and still (somehow) claim fidelity and allegiance to Jesus Christ? What convoluted logic or personal rationalization would allow a rejection of Christ's words?
Does He not promise us:
"If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." John 8: 31-32
After reading these promises of Jesus Christ to His Holy Church,
what Christian "in good faith" would reject the Church Christ started,
the only Christian faith of the first millennium,
(the same millennium that Christ and His Apostles lived)?
If you reject His Church, His One Faith, then as per His promise you reject Him.
"He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me"
Return to Homepage
Intro to the Catholic Faith for Evangelicals http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/index2.htm
Catholic Answers: "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" A compendium of basic Catholic beliefs and the Biblicism behind these beliefs. http://www.catholic.com/library/pillar.asp
FAQ about the Catholic Faith from Columbia University
1. "BIBLE ONLY" CHRISTIAN or "BIBLE BELIEVING" CHRISTIAN?
50 Practices and Doctrines not found in the Holy Bible. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/unbiblical.html
2. JUST THE TRUTH: 2 Dozen Logic and Historical Facts Refuting the Apostolicity and Biblicism of the Modern Christian Belief Systems "Test Everything." 1 Thess 5:21 http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/justfacts.html
3. An Exercise in Logic, Two Logic Proofs from History 101 demonstrating how the modern Christian theologies did not even exist in the first millennium, making it impossible for Christ and His Apostles to have taught to His early Church.
4. Three uneasy questions for your pastor concerning his personal theology. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/formypastor.html
5. Seven Reasons Christians Go To Church, Which One Is Yours? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/7stages.html
6. "The 7 Stages of Christian Spiritual Development" What stage are you? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/7stages.html
7. The Historical Origins & Authors of the Modern Christian Theologies. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/dates.html
8. Is Sola Scriptura or the "Bible Only" idea even Biblical? Where does the Bible teach the "SOLA" or the "ONLY" in Sola Scriptura? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/ss.html
9. Modern Christians often ask: "WHAT ELSE IS THERE? What else has Christ's infallible authority besides the Holy Bible?" Featuring the verses not underlined in most Bibles nor taught in modern Christian seminaries or churches. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/whatelse.html
10. FAITH ALONE (SOLA FIDE): It is a Catholic Position. Have you been taught that Catholics "work their way to Heaven?" http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/faithalone.html
11. "Who is the Bride of Christ?" What does the Holy Bible say? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/bride.html
12. Did the BEREANS "Search the Scriptures" and therefore follow the BIBLE ONLY idea?
Or did the THESSALONIANS, who also "Searched the Scriptures? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/bereans.html
13. The 3rd Unanswered Challenge for the Non-Catholic Theologies:
Is the Catholic Faith Apostolic? Name just one Catholic doctrine that isn't. Name one doctrine the early Church believed,,,, that the Catholic Faith today *no longer does*. Why can't the modern Christian theologies make the same bold claim? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/3challenge.html
14. Biblically, did the "Official Teachings or Doctrines of the Catholic Faith" become corrupt or Apostate as your Pastor might teach? Are there verses in the Holy Scriptures that forbid the "Gates of Hell" from overcoming His Church? What does the Holy Bible really say about: "The Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth" 1 Tim :15? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/gatesofhell.html
15. Is Praying to Saints Biblical? Is the "HAIL MARY" Prayer Biblical? Read the verses not underlined in your pastors Bible nor taught in his church. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/saints.html
16. How Modern Christian are compelled to use and embrace an unbiblical and anti-biblical definition and concept of a Christian Church. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/onchurch.html
Return to Homepage "A Biblical Case for the Catholic Faith"