Please email me with your questions, objections or comments. INRI33AD@aol.com
What I will ask you below will leave you in a quandary. You will be faced with believing what the Holy Scriptures actually say, or discounting them to justify your present theology. It is true, that if the doctrines of the Catholic Church were never corrupted, (as Protestants allege they were), there would be no need for Protestantism; for there would be nothing in the theology of Christ's Church to "reform."
Let us be clear what we are discussing here. We are not speaking of the "Sinners" in the Church or what these sinners have done, past or present. We are discussing what a Church officially teaches as the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's doctrines/creeds/catechisms.
Have men in the Catholic Church committed heinous sins in the past, present or future? Unfortunately yes. But they are not alone. All churches have their fair share of sinners, even yours. During the Protestant reformation in the Anglican stream, Henry VIII executed St. Thomas Moore and many other Catholics who would not convert to the Church of England. In the Calvinist stream, Calvin executed the heretic Serventus. In the Lutheran stream, Martin Luther advocated the killing of Anabaptist leaders, the burning of Jewish synagogues and the slaughter of the peasants during the Peasants War. In the Anabaptist stream, Anabaptist seized the town of Munster in 1534, burned all the books in the city (except the Bible), and killed many before their attempt to establish a "New Jerusalem" in the town fell apart the next year. And this says nothing of the scandals of our modern day televangelists or the plague facing today's Protestant ministers with infidelity. Search "protestant pastors infidelity" in google.com and read what Protestantism's own ministers say about this epidemic problem of up to 30% of its pastors.
Yes, every church has a past and a present. That is why one should not look at the "Sinners" of a Church to see if the Church is Apostolic, but what the Church teaches, it's theology. Are its Doctrines Apostolic, i.e. what the Apostles taught the early Church? That is the question. CS Lewis wrote in “Mere Christianity” that the ONLY reason to belong to a particular faith is because it is True. Not because you like the pastor or enjoy the music or they have great activities for the kids. The ONLY reason to embrace a faith is if it is Apostolic. The teachings of the Apostles to the Bride of Christ, his early Church.
While a tree can surely be known by its fruit, we must actually
see if we are judging the tree itself (i.e., the Church) and not the sinners IN
the Church. For all of us are sinners and every Church (Catholic and Protestant)
is guilty at one time or another of less than virtuous leaders....To include the
Apostolic Church 2000 years ago.
If we were to judge the Apostolic Church by the behavior of the Apostles on Good Friday, there would be no reason to accept Christ's infant Church, for all but 1 deserted him, one denied him thrice and one betrayed him with a kiss. But we don't reject Christ's Church for the sins of the Apostles, we acknowledge their sin nature and rather accept the Gospel Christ entrusted to them and his Church.
"Teach them to observe all I have taught you and behold I am with you always until the end of the world" Matt 28:20
Yet, Protestants maintain that the Catholic Church has become corrupt, or paganized or that it teaches false doctrines. Has it? Christ started his Church in Matt 16:16-19.
"You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church, and the Gates of Hell will not prevail against it" Matt 16:16-19
Scripture and history tell us that Christ started the Catholic Church and for 1000+ years it was the ONLY Christian Church on this planet. (Unless you want to count the "Great Heresies of history," which even modern Protestants consider outside orthodox Christianity.)
It was the ONLY Christian Church for 1000+ years. It was and still is a universal Church. "Catholic" in Greek means "Universal". I.e., the Universal Church, one Church, one Faith.
"There is One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God." Eph 4:4-6
St. Ignatius of Antioch, an early Christian Bishop and student of John the Apostle wrote 77 years after Christ ascended into Heaven:
"Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop or by one whom he ordains [i.e., a presbyter]. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church"
(Letter to the Smyrneans 8:2 [A.D. 110]).
So how could the Catholic Church be corrupt or teach false doctrines as non-Catholics maintain if we truly believe Christ's words? Do you believe the Holy Scriptures even though they don't conform to your present theology?
If the Church teaches an evil or false doctrine, is that church
"Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth?" 1 Timothy 3:14-16
Even though it teaches an evil doctrine?
1 Timothy 3:14-16 "if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth."
But what of this Church that teaches a false/evil doctrine? Is it still "guided by the Spirit to ALL Truth?"
John 16:12-14 "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."
And this Church that teaches a false/evil doctrine, has Satan overcome it to make it TEACH a false/evil doctrine?
Matt 16:16-18 "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
Did the Gates of Hell overcome it?
If you say no,,, and the Gates of Hell did NOT overcome it,,,,
how come this church is teaching the "Devils false Doctrine" yet not be over come by the Devil???
Think about that. You must resolve this contradiction.
You BELIEVE it is teaching the Devil's false doctrine, but you
maintain that the Gates of Hell have not overcome it?
This is a contradiction. Either they did overcome the Catholic Church and you are wrong about the passage of scripture, or they didn't overcome it and you are wrong about the Catholic Church teaching false doctrines. Which is it?
And lastly, this Church who Protestant pastors claim are teaching the Devil's false doctrine, was told:
Matt 28: 19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Is he not with his Church until the end of the age? The
Apostles would not live for ever so this was meant for His Church. Should we
believe the Protestant position that Christ is with his Church, and that he sent
the Spirit of Truth, to guide it to ALL truth (John
16:13),,, but for some reason, even though he will be with it to
the end of the age, he allows it to teach the *Devils Doctrine*?, i.e.,
something AntiBiblical....something false?
Even though it is the Pillar and foundation of TRUTH?
How can the Truth teach an evil or false doctrine?
Is this your logic? Is this the conclusion? Or is this rationalization of what one doesn't want to believe and can't believe scripture teaches?
Either Christ's Church, the "Church of the living God", the
"Bride of Christ", the "Pillar and Foundation of Truth," either it's doctrine is
corrupt and is teaching the false Devils Doctrine,,,
or this Protestant theory of the Renaissance era (that ONLY Protestants and Mormons adhere to), that the Church Christ started is false and corrupt is not true and not even Biblical.
Either we trust the Holy Words of Scripture and the Guarantees of Jesus Christ about his Church or we don't.
Could it be that the doctrine of Christ's Church really IS
protected from "the Gates of Hell" and as Christ said,,,
*he really meant it* when he said he would send the "Spirit of Truth to Guide his Church to ALL Truth"? (John 16:13)
Could have he really have meant it when it was called the "Pillar and foundation of Truth"?
Given the fact that this is the way Christians have Always believed was he really serious when he called it that?
Perhaps the Protestant position is just that. The Protestant
position,,, made up by Protestants in the Renaissance era.
And consequently NOT what the Apostles taught the Early Church.
Either Christ's Church is what he said it was:
"the pillar and foundation of the truth." to which he would send the "spirit to Guide it in ALL truth", and
he would be "with it until the end of the world" and the "Gates of Hell would NEVER prevail against it"
Or this same Church now teaches the Devils False Doctrine as modern Protestants maintain.
"The Church of the living God, the pillar and
foundation of the truth."1 Timothy 3:14-16
The revelations of Renaissance era philosophers? I.e. the traditions of the Renaissance era man?
Just because you have believed something for years on end.
Doesn't mean it's true.
Either we believe Scripture or we don't.
Christ will protect his Church from "Officially Teaching" error on matters of "Faith or Morals" until the end of time. Not on matters of science or politics or even sports, only matters of "Faith or Morals" for that is the job of Christ's Church.
The sinners IN the Church are not protected but the Doctrine of the Church itself. That is what the Bible tells us.
"the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth." 1 Timothy 3:14-16
Either we believe the Holy Scriptures or we don't.
Click here: 16 SOBERING QUESTIONS FOR THE ERNEST BELIEVER: Discover the verses most likely not underlined in your Bible and often overlooked in Protestant churches and seminaries
Please email me with your questions, objections or comments.
God Bless You,
Intro to the Catholic Faith for Evangelicals http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/index2.htm
Catholic Answers: "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" A compendium of basic Catholic beliefs and the Biblicism behind these beliefs. http://www.catholic.com/library/pillar.asp
FAQ about the Catholic Faith from Columbia University
1. "BIBLE ONLY" CHRISTIAN or "BIBLE BELIEVING" CHRISTIAN?
50 Practices and Doctrines not found in the Holy Bible. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/unbiblical.html
2. JUST THE TRUTH: 2 Dozen Logic and Historical Facts Refuting the Apostolicity and Biblicism of the Modern Christian Belief Systems "Test Everything." 1 Thess 5:21 http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/justfacts.html
3. An Exercise in Logic, Two Logic Proofs from History 101 demonstrating how the modern Christian theologies did not even exist in the first millennium, making it impossible for Christ and His Apostles to have taught to His early Church.
4. The Promises of Jesus Christ to His Holy Church (as recorded in Holy Writ) http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/promises.html
5. Three uneasy questions for your pastor concerning his personal theology. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/formypastor.html
6. Seven Reasons Christians Go To Church, Which One Is Yours? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/7stages.html
7. "The 7 Stages of Christian Spiritual Development" What stage are you? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/7stages.html
8. The Historical Origins & Authors of the Modern Christian Theologies. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/dates.html
9. Is Sola Scriptura or the "Bible Only" idea even Biblical? Where does the Bible teach the "SOLA" or the "ONLY" in Sola Scriptura? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/ss.html
10. Modern Christians often ask: "WHAT ELSE IS THERE? What else has Christ's infallible authority besides the Holy Bible?" Featuring the verses not underlined in most Bibles nor taught in modern Christian seminaries or churches. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/whatelse.html
11. FAITH ALONE (SOLA FIDE): It is a Catholic Position. Have you been taught that Catholics "work their way to Heaven?" http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/faithalone.html
12. "Who is the Bride of Christ?" What does the Holy Bible say? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/bride.html
13. Did the BEREANS "Search the Scriptures" and therefore follow the BIBLE ONLY idea?
Or did the THESSALONIANS, who also "Searched the Scriptures? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/bereans.html
14. The 3rd Unanswered Challenge for the Non-Catholic Theologies:
Is the Catholic Faith Apostolic? Name just one Catholic doctrine that isn't. Name one doctrine the early Church believed,,,, that the Catholic Faith today *no longer does*. Why can't the modern Christian theologies make the same bold claim? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/3challenge.html
15. Biblically, did the "Official Teachings or Doctrines of the Catholic Faith" become corrupt or Apostate as your Pastor might teach? Are there verses in the Holy Scriptures that forbid the "Gates of Hell" from overcoming His Church? What does the Holy Bible really say about: "The Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth" 1 Tim :15? http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/gatesofhell.html
16. Is Praying to Saints Biblical? Is the "HAIL MARY" Prayer Biblical? Read the verses not underlined in your pastors Bible nor taught in his church. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/saints.html
17. How Modern Christian are compelled to use and embrace an unbiblical and anti-biblical definition and concept of a Christian Church. http://www.angelfire.com/home/protestantchallenges/onchurch.html
Return to Homepage "A Biblical Case for the Catholic Faith"