LINE OF FATE
The line of fate is a symbol of wordly affairs and one's course in life.
It is most intimately associated with careers, but as a corollary to this it
is associated with how an individual is influenced, and what barriers and
obstacles one encounters. And as always, it is a harbinger of things to come
in life, denoting by its alterations in course and composition the trials and
boons it offers to all mankind. It charts the course between the line of life, which consists of family and longtime friends, and the mount of the moon, which is the origin of the strange and mysterious. As such, it is the path we wend through a world of uncontrolled circumstances. The events portrayed in the line of fate are those over which man has little governance, being instead the circumstances over which we wield little control.(110)
On the less-used hand, it is symbolic of the potential (or lack thereof)
that the bearer may hope to attain. The well-used hand demonstrates how the
bearer effected this potential. It is the eternal struggle between thought
and action, the inward spirit, the outward mein. In another more material
sense, the neglected hand signifies legacy and inheritance, while the favored
hand denotes what has been achieved through our own labor.
The information concerning the line of Fate is composed
of the following sections :
Composition of the Line of
The consistency and appearance of the lines follows those guidelines laid out
in A Basic Overview of the Palm.
The course it wends across the palm is another matter.
- If the line is red, it reveals the individual is
undergoing a great deal of stress with their current occupation, and that it is
not to their liking.(275)
- If the line be wavy and uncertain, so too is the fate laid out for the
individual. They shall be fickle in their pursuits, and easily averted in
their purpose.(119) Depending upon the
ascension of the line, this uncertainty may be subject to the whims of either
family or strangers.
- A faint line will also denote feebleness in direction, but the course
in life the bearer follows shall adhere to a single course instead of many
short courses. This type of line betokens an individual who follows a path
in life that they do not appreciate, nor do they necessarily wish for.
- A broken, scattered line reveals many disastrous events in the bearer's
life, with numerous disappointments and aspirations. Whenever the line is
broken but resumes, it signifies a career change for the bearer. If the new
line be stronger, it symbolizes that the new career is more propitious and
natural for the bearer.(118)
- A deeply cut line is indicative of a man of unwavering purpose and
steadfast vision. Though their great direction in life may be an admirable
trait, it carries with it the possible burden of boredom, for their career
shall never be graced with novelty. As Silverfriend notes, "Weak characters
have this line more distinctly indicated than strong characters. When it is
distinctly shown, without any cross influences, the character is only a medium
for another to operate through. This may be from a spiritual or natural source.
(37-38). Thus, the most beneficial of fate lines
is a balance of direction and diversity.
Points of Ascension
The line of fate may arise from a variety of locations on the palm :
- If it rise from the line of life and remain strong, the accolades
merited by the bearer will be due to the bearer's own efforts and industry.
However, this is only when the line immediately veers away from the line of
life. Should it remain tied down, so too will the bearer's career, which will
be dominated by obligations to their family until such time as the line
separates from the line of life.(138)
The bearer may recover, but their career has been crippled and making a mark
for themselves will prove to be more of a struggle.
- If the line rise from the mount of luna, the individual's life is
carried along by the undertow of whim and fancy in which the public so deigns
to indulge. Though their life may be a tumultous, fascinating ride, the bearer will possess little power over the course of their life. This sort of line is often seen on the hands of writers, performers, and sometimes on politicians.
- If it rise from the center of the wrist, neither adhering to the
line of life nor originating from the mount of the moon, it is a most
propitious sign, for such a bearer is a "self-made man", who has claimed a
name for themselves through gumption and personal effort, not from the
munificence of family or the capricious fancy of the public. However,
should this line be utterly straight and possess no interesting marks at all,
it betokens a plodding, lackluster life that will merit no great success.
- If it rise from the rascettes of the wrist, it betokens early
- It may not rise from the wrist, instead taking root in a portion higher
up the hand.
- If it rise from the plain of mars, life has dealt the bearer blows
early in life, for mars is the bringer of strife. They have had little
opportunity to flourish in life, instead devoting their energies to surviving
the hardships dealt to them early in life.
- If it rise from the line of head, the same is true as in the line
of heart, but these difficulties will be overcome by the bearer's great talent.
- If it rise from the line of heart, life has been very cruel to the
- If there be no line at all, this is not necessarily a wholly
negative sign. It is the mark of a singularly aimless individual, who drifts
through life with no specific direction or purpose. No great risks are taken,
which is unfortunate, for only through great exertion will such an individual
make a name for themselves.(113) Though their
life may seem romantic in its transience to outside observers, the bearer
themselves will often feel unfulfilled and empty in that they heralded no
lasting accomplishment for themselves.
- If the line of Fate keep its course but also send an offshoot to
a different mount, it portends great strengths in the qualities indicated by
the mount. These talents will be availed at the point of departure of the
Points of Termination
- Should a well-formed line reach the mount of Saturn, then veer to end at
the mount of Jupiter, the individual will actualize all of their ambitions,
for the true nature of the line and fate shall bless the individual with a
clear direction in life, while the mount of Jupiter will lend the ambition and
followthrough necessary to effect even the loftiest of aspirations.
- A line that surpasses its natural terminus of the mount of Saturn and
extends up into the finger itself is indicative of an individual who
always goes too far. They are perfectionists and unreasonable idealists, who
will push himself and those around him too far. Often this is the sign of an
- It may also terminate upon another mount, bypassing the mount of
Saturn altogether :
- If it reach the mount of Jupiter, it betokens unusual success,
power, and distinction. It is portentious of great ambition and perseverance.
The bearers of this mark are typically very important people.
- If it terminate at the mount of Apollo, the individual will be
driven by artistic or other creative flourishes.
- If it terminate on the mount of Mercury, the individual will possess
great savvy with science, or will be a clever businessman.
- And in the course of its ascension, the line may well be stopped short of
its final destination:
- If the line of Fate is barred by the line of heart, it betokens a
disastrous outcome in affairs of the heart that will ruin the success of the
individual. These need not necessarily be due to romantic entanglements; the
troubles could instead spur from rash decisions of the heart. Seek
collaborating marks to establish a more specific cause of this downfall.
- If the line of head mark the end of the line of the Fate, its
import is similar to that of the former: a blunder of the mind or an
egregious oversight shall be the ruin of the individual.
These shorcomings need not be permanent. Should the life of fate begin
anew after its severance, the individual will be able to recover from his
Those specific markings not listed below may be interpreted using the
The Individual Markings of the Hand.
A final note concerning markings: Often evil markings at the terminus of the
Line of Fate are not monetary in nature; instead, they are symptomatic of the
loss of friends, deteriorating health, and disappointments with children that
are expected in the late stages of life.(122)
- Transverse Markings are always the sign of obstacles.
They may originate from a line of influence, or they
may simply be a random occurrence that has been cast in one's path by the
capricious hand of fate. These obstacles are severe if they are immediately
followed by an island, which suggests that it was the direct cause of a
prolonged hardship. If the bar is created by a line drooping from the line of
heart, it is an istability caused by romance.(141)
The same is true for the line of head, excepting for the fact that the difficulty
was caused by a foolish decision or mental difficulties.
- The Cross is typically a negative sign. If the line of Fate
terminates on the mount of Saturn with a cross, and a grille can be seen on
the mount of Mercury, it portends a most violent death due to imprudent
skulduggery enacted by the bearer themselves. He shall reap what he has sown.
- The Star should be interpreted with great caution. In the case of
the line of Fate, it represents a dramatic and difficult to correct upset in
life. It may also be the cause of great financial losses.
- The Island. If the line of fate begins with an island, at best
there is some great mystery to their birth.(290)
--at worst, it signifies the death of both parents. If it appears later in
the line, it is a sign of financial difficulties.(141)
- The Square is an uncharacteristically evil omen in conjunction with
the line of fate. If it touch the line of fate and exist on the percussion
side of the line of Fate, that is to say the square leans toward the mount of
Luna, it portends a danger of accident in travel. If it is on the other side
of the Line of Fate, closer to the mount of Venus, it threatens an accident in
home life. Outside of this context, however, the square is still a symbol of
preservation, especially when it surrounds an evil marking.
- Drooping Offshoots are most often the sign of material loss. The
deeper and steeper the offshoot, the greater the loss.
- Rising Offshoots typify profits or great windfalls in life, and
success in all ventures taken at their point of departure.
- Sister Lines are indispensable for softening the impact of a drastic
career change. When there is a break in the Line of Fate, the sister lines
shield the bearer from the trauma involved in the transition.
Lines of Influence
Lines of influence symbolize people who influence the life of the bearer, and
in many cases, are used to collaborate marriages. These are no idle markings;
they may exert a powerful sway over the bearer, but only when they make
contact with the Line of Fate.(122)
These lines typicaly rise from either the Mount of Luna or the Mount of Venus,
and as the reader may expect, those rising from the Mount of Luna represent
strangers who enter the bearer's life, while those rising from the Mount of
Venus are family, relatives, and friends known for such a span of time that
they have achieved a certain "timeless" status.
- Influence lines rising from the Mount of Luna are often marriages
(again, this should be collaborated with the Lines of Affection and perchance
the Line of Heart). In such a case, the date of the union is marked when the
influence line contacts the Line of Fate.
- If the line merges and follows with the line, perhaps even strengthening it,
it is a blessed union.
- If the influence line runs of its own accord for a distance prior to joining
, the marriage will be more a result of capricious fancy than a loving union.
- If the line greatly alters the course of the Line of Fate, the union will
greatly affect one's career. Whether it is a happy union or not is to be
collaborated with other markings.
- If the influence line cuts through the line of fate, it is an unhappy
sign, an upset created by the great effect the individual had upon the
- If the line of influence rises high on the Mount of Luna, the marriage
will be achieved for the hollow cause of vanity, not love.
- If the Line of Fate is supported by influence lines from both Venus and
Luna, the destiny of the bearer will vacillate between imagination
(the quality of Luna) and love and passion (qualities of Venus).
- Lines originating from the Mount of Venus tend to be more meddlesome.
Divining their purpose is left to the section concerning the Line of Life.