DEFIBRILLATORheart restarting machine. This is now stored at the Spar shop Edward
Road for borrowing by group events. (A defibrillator was bought for use at events
in Whitehead. The Spar shop in Edward Road is open long hours and appears to be the
best place to store it.)
Training in use of the defibrillator is available. Speak to the Community Centre
manager for more info.
Local, Pauline E Bingham’s book 'Green Pastures', on the Gobbins over 100 years
ago available in local shops, including The Bank House and Jordans.
It lies almost midway between the bustling town of Carrickfergus with its mediaeval
castle and historic harbour and the busy port of Larne. Located at the base of Muldersleigh
Hill, at the entrance to Belfast Lough, on the Irish Sea, it lies in a small bay
between the limestone cliffs of Whitehead and the black volcanic cliff of Blackhead,
with the Blackhead lighthouse on top, marking the entrance to Belfast Lough.
A Victorian Railway village with a well preserved Conservation area, including the
Railway Station, Whitehead contains about 1800 households with over 4,000 people
and is home to RPSI and CAYC (Railway Preservation Society of Ireland and the County
Antrim Yacht Club), as well as being the starting point for the popular seaside walk
past Sunshine House and around Blackhead Lighthouse.
Whitehead is about 20 miles from Belfast. On the opposite coast of Belfast Lough,
to Whitehead, the Copeland Islands, Bangor and part of the County Down coastline,
are clearly visible. On a clear day, it is possible to see the Isle of Man and Scotland.
Whitehead is a pretty seaside village on the east coast of County Antrim, Northern
Ireland and is fairly self sufficient in terms of businesses and services for daily
needs, including shops, schools churches and recreation.