|There are nine planets in our Solar System and they all revolve around the sun. The reason it is called a solar system is because solar means sun. The sun is the closest and biggest star in our solar system.|
|The nine planets in order closest to the sun are as follows:|
1. MERCURY: It is the closest to the sun. It has neither air or water. It has no atmosphere.|
2. VENUS: This is the planet in between Mercury and Earth. It is the hottest planets. It can be seen with the naked eye. It has pools of liquid metals. Venus has clouds of acid; not water. The clouds are heavy enough to crush a person. It also has lightning and volcanoes.
3. EARTH: Only planet that supports life.
4. MARS: This planet has two moons. It is known as the Red Planet.
5. JUPITER: This planet is made up of hydrogen and liquid hydrogen. It also has a great red spot. It has 16 moons, including the moon Io.|
6. SATURN: It has rings made of ice and rocks. Saturn has 23 moons, including the moon Titan.
7. URANUS: When it is near Neptune, Uranus is influenced by Neptune's gravity. Uranus slows down and appears to move backward for awhile. This is called a perturbation of Uranus' orbit.
8. NEPTUNE: Like the other Gas Giants, it is surrounded by rings made up of pieces of rock and ice.
|PLUTO: The odd planet out. This is the smallest planet of all. It is so far away that we know little about it. It was not even discovered until 1930. It is a frozen world, with temperatures believed to be aoround -355 ºF(-215 ºC). Pluto has a moon called Charon.|
Clever Media Colony Defender|
Clever Media Alien Growth
Wife to Husband: I think Buzz may grow up to be a space scientist. I was talking to his teacher today and she said he was taking up space.|
Q: What do astronauts wear to keep warm?
Q: Where do astronauts leave their spaceships?
Q: Where do Martians drink beer?
A: At a mars bar!
Q: How do you get a baby astronaut to sleep?
Q: Two astronauts went to a bar on the moon, but they left after a few minutes?
Q: Why did Captain Kirk go into the ladies toilet?
Q: What do you call a space magician?
Q: What did the metric alien say?
Q: What did the alien say to the gas pump?
Q: How does a robot shave?
Q: What do you call a robot that always takes the longest route round?
Q: R2 detour!
Q: Do robots have sisters?
Last updated on April 26, 2003.|
Copyright © 2000-2003 - Sir Joseph's Castle
All Rights Reserved
Background is exclusively for Sir Joseph's Castle