THE FIRST SORROWFUL MYSTERY
The Agony in the Garden
Let us remember how much Christ must have loved us to suffer as He did for you and me.
Let us offer our meditation in this mystery for all who suffer in body or spirit, through sickness or want or worry.
- Jesus came with them to Gethsemane. And sadness came over Him, and great distress. (Matt 26:36, 37)
- Then He said, 'My soul is sorrowful to the point of death. Wait here and keep awake with Me.' (Math 26:38)
- Then He withdrew from the, and knelt down and prayed. (Luke 22:41)
- 'Father, if You are willing, take this cup away from Me. Nevertheless, let Your will be done, not Mine.' (Luke 22:42)
- Then an angel appeared to Him, coming from heaven to give Him strength. (Luke 22:43)
- In His anguish He prayed even more earnestly. (Luke 22:44)
- And His sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. (Luke 22:44)
- Then He came back to His disciples and found them sleeping, and He said, 'So you had not the strength to keep awake with Me one hour? (Matt 26:40)
- 'You should be awake, and praying not to be put to the test.' (Matt 26:41)
- The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak (Matt 26-41)