THE FOURTH GRADE
- Grammar and Writing
- Natural Sciences
- History and Geography
- Art, Music, Home Economics
- The Encyclopedia Brown-Boy Detective Series- Boy Detective Series by Donald J. Sobol
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler by E.L. Konisburg
- Jason and the Argonauts by Will Osborne and Mary Pope Osborne
- Ghosts in the Fourth Grade by Constance Hiser
OVERVIEW OF 4TH GRADE CURRICULUM
- Develop word recognition skills using phonics and structural analysis.
- Build vocabulary.
- Read and discuss to build comprehension utilizing the different levels of thinking.
- Appreciate a variety of reading materials.
- Express ideas clearly and effectively emphasizing paragraph development.
- Dictionary skills (The student should be given a list of words each week. He or she should be able to look up the word in a dictionary, find part of speech it belongs to and look up its meaning. The student should also be able to write an original sentence for each new word.)
- Write in the four areas - describing, explaining, narrating, and reasoning.
SPEAKING AND LISTENING
- Listen attentively, respond to questions, and participate in activities.
- Discuss and respond to a given topic using appropriate English and expression, correct pronunciation and phrasing, enunciation, and adequate volume through discussions, oral reports, current events, etc.
- Read and write numbers to 100,000
- Place value through 1,000.
- Addition and subtraction involving regrouping through 1,000.
- Basic multiplication facts and operations to 2-digit multiplier.
- Basic division facts and operations to 1-digit divisor.
- Addition and subtraction of fractions having like denominators.
- Identify space and plane figures.
- Interpret bar and picture graphs
- Measure length to nearest centimeter.
- Addition and subtraction of decimals expressed in tenths.
- Extend problem solving skills.
- First Communion Bible-St. Joseph's Edition
- 100 Activities Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church by Ellen Rossini
- St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism
- Marian Catechism
- Silver Burdett Mathematics for Grade 4
- Homework Helpers Math for Grade 4
- Investigating School Mathematics
- The Book of Saints by Victor Hoagland
- Indiana Educational Series-Fourth Reader
- Fifty-Seven Saints
- Modern Saints by Ann Ball
GRAMMER AND WRITING
- Silver Burdett's World of Language
- Webster's Elementary Dictionary
- What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch
- Grade 4: Learn at Home Workbook
- Comprehensive Curriculum Workbook
This page was last updated on June 9, 2006.
Copyright © 2002-2006 - Catholic Homeschooling in Hawaii
All Rights Reserved