Don't you just love my new Halloween costume??!!
Okay...maybe not really, but this page is dedicated to my favorite-and probably the most completely misunderstood-Pagan Sabbat. In my opinion, people fear Samhain or All Hallow's Eve because of our present culture's ridiculous fear of death. In the United States especially, many people exhibit an all-out phobia of even dicussing death, which we must accept as a natural and inevitable part of life. Happy Haunting!
Fifteen Facts About All Hallow's Eve
- Samhain is traditionally the night of the dead.
- Samhain is the natural end of the year.
- On Samhain, we honor the spirits and departed loved ones
- Samhain is NOT evil or satanic.
- Samhain is NOT about candy, and NOT just for children!
- Black, red and orange are traditional Samhain colors.
- Decorate your altar for this sabbat with pumpkins, mirrors, a crystal ball and photos of dead relatives and friends.
- Many pagans celebrate Samhain with a special meal including squash or pumpkin, apples and meat.
- Samhain is also a good time for reflection and deep introspection
- Samhain is a great time for banishing negativity and letting go of bad habits.
- Long ago, people started wearing costumes on Samhain to protect themselves from mischievious or evil spirits.
- It is believed that it is very easy to communicate with spirits on this night.
- Give thanks for everything you were blessed with in the past year on Samhain.
- Embrace the spiritual world, rather than fearing it.
- This is a serious sabbat, but remember to have fun too!
Delicious Samhain Soup!