Site hosted by Build your free website today!
Results & Fixtures Players Goalscorers Match Reports Corby's History Manager's Page
League Table News Youth Pictures Reserves Steelmen Forum
Directions Links Club info E-Mail Me Homepage Programmes

Folkestone Invicta Info and History

Chairman:Tommy Guiver
President:Bill Hewson
Secretary:Neil Pilcher
25 Pavillion Rd, Folkestone, Kent. CT19 5RW
Tel: 01303 245066
Manager:Neil Cugley
Asst Manager:Dave Williams
Physio:Frank Clarke

Sponsors:Eurotunnel(Le Shuttle)
Colours:Amber & black stripes/black/amber
Change Colours:Blue & green stripes/blue/blue
Midweek matchday:Tuesday
Reserve's League:Winstonlead Kent Div 2

Ground:The New Pavillion, Cheriton Road, Folkestone, Kent CT20 5JU
Tel:01303 257461

Capacity:6,500    Seats:900    Cover:3,500    Floodlights:Yes

Clubhouse:Yes, Stripes Club & Invicta Club
Club Shop:Yes

Ground:South Rd, Hythe (pre-1991). Kent County Lg matches were played on council pitches
Leagues:Kent County (pre-1991-98)

Club Records:
Attendance:2,332 v West Ham Utd Friendly Nov 96
Ground Record:7,881 Folkestone Town v Margate, Kent Snr. Cup 1958
Win:9-0 v Crockenhill WHL Div 1    Defeat:0-7 v Crockenhill WHL Div 1

Best Season:
FA Vase:Last sixteen 97-98
FA Cup:2nd Qual Rd 95-96

Honours:(since joining Winsonlead Kent League) Kent Lge R-up 97-98, Kent Senior Trophy R-Up 93-94, 94-95

Folkestone's original Football Club was formed in 1884 and ten years later they became one of the founder members of the Kent League. They moved to their present home in Cheriton Road in 1914 and in 1923 began their first spell as members of the Southern League. They ended their first season, 1923/24, in eighth place in the Eastern Division with 29 points from their thiry games. Their leading scorer was 'Pop' Wighton.
    Showing a great sense of consistency Folkestone again finished eighth in 1924/25, this time with 37 points. They also became the first winners of the Hastings and St Leonards Charity Cup. A total deficit of 704 pounds for the year was shown, however, and their Cheriton Road ground passed into the hands of the Corporation. Folkestone dropped to fifteenth place in 1925/26 but were Kent Senior Cup Finalists and reached the First Round of the F.A Cup where they lost and a public appeal for funds was launched. There was a glimmer of hope, however, when former Brentford chairman Jason Saunders settled in the town and became involved with the club.
    During 1927/28 another appeal fund was set up and the club was kept afloat by the efforts of secretary John Gambrill and the transfer of Archie Nunn to Luton Town. In 1929/30 Folkestone reached the F.A cup First Round where they held Clapton Orient to two draws before losing 1-4 in a second replay at neutral Highbury.
    The following season they went one better and reached the F.A Cup Second Round before losing 2-3 at Gateshead, having beaten Sittingbourne 5-3 in the First Round. They finished seventh in the league, were beaten Kent Senior Cup Finalists and in February, 1931 as supporters club was formed.
    Harry Warren was appointed the club's first player/manager for the start of 1931/32 and they started to enjoy considerable success during the early 1930's as he brought in professional Football League players such as former England star Jack Cock. They were runners up in his first season and reached the First Round of the F.A Cup only to lose 2-5 at home to Brighton and Hove Albion.
    The following season was even better as although their final league position slipped to third they reached the first Southern League Cup Final, losing 3-6 to Plymouth Argly over two legs, and the Third Round of the F.A Cup before losing 0-2 to First Division Huddersfield Town with both goals coming in the last ten minutes. The Folkestone team for that game was :- Goodman, Rossiter, Brown, Edwards, Warren, Webster, Richards, H.Havelock, P.Havelock, Sparke and Black. In the First and Second Rounds they had beaten Norwich City 1-0 and Newport County 2-1 respectively. Against Huddersfield goalkeeper Goodman played so well that he was signed by them almost straight after the game!! They also won the Kent Senior Shield with a 3-0 victory over Dartford.
    In 1933/34 Folkestone retained the Kent Senior Shield with a second successive victory over Dartford, this time by 3-2. The club also completed a 'double' by lifting the Kent Senior Cup following their 3-0 victory over Maidstone. In the F.A Cup they went out in the First Round losing a replay 1-3 at Bristol Rovers following a 0-0 draw at Cheriton Road.
    The following season they finished seventh in the Eastern Section of the Southern League but won the Central Section and the Southern League Cup by virture of a 5-4 aggregate victory over Yeovil & Petters United. The F.A Cup again saw eventful times for the club as in the Fourth Qualifying Round they drew 0-0 at home and 1-1 away against Margate. A third match was then played at Highbury which was abandoned due to fog with Folkestone leading 4-3 but as Margate's goalkeeper was ineligible the game was awarded to Folkestone. After all that they lost 1-3 to Brighton in the next round. It was during thsi season that Wilf Armory joined the club.
    In 1935-36 Folkestone were Eastern Division runners up and they again reached the Second Round of the F.A Cup before losing 1-2 at home to Clapton Orient. The following season the club finished third in the league and lost n the First Round of hte F.A Cup against Exeter who they also lost to the following season as well.
    A final placing of sixteenth in 1938/39 was overshadowed by the financial problems which almost killed the club. Money was raised by the sale of Smart and Tucker to Wolves and Langdon, Brown, James and Durrant to Brentford but Folkestone were still forced to resign from the Southern League at the season's end. Indeed, but for the backing of the Supporters Club they would have gone under altogether. Manager Harry Warren left to take charge of Chelmsford City.
    For the 1939/40 season they dropped down into the Kent League but played only two games before War interrupted the season.Wilf Armory was part-time manager during this period when a number of famous players turned out for the club whilst stationed at the Shorncliffe Barracks at Cheriton.
    In 1945/46 Wilf Armory became full time manager and the club changed its name to Folkestone Town and although they suffered their heaviest ever home defeat, 1-8 against Gillingham, they were Kent League runners up in 1946/47, 1947/48 and 1949/50 before winning the title in 1950/51. However, they did pick up the Kent League Cup in 1946/47 and the Kent Senior Shield in 1948/49.
    In the 1951/52 season they won the Kent League Cup and the following season they were Kent League campions again. They club's record attendance was set during the 1958/59 season when Margate visited Cheriton Road for a Kent Senior Cup game when 7,881 people were in attendance.
    In 1958/59 Folkestone rejoined the Southern League and they also installed floodlights, losing 1-3 against Burnley in the game to open them. They finished third in that first season and were promoted to the Premier Division although a season later they were relegated again.
    In 1963/64 they lost 0-2 at Oxford United in the F.A Cup First Round and were Division One Champions. Their next honours were gained in 1964/65 when they defeated Dover 1-0 in the Kent Senior Shield and the following season they retained the trophy with a 3-2 aggregate win over Tonbridge. The same season the club achieved national fame by reaching the F.A Cup Third Round witn wins at Gillingham (2-1) and 1-0 at home against Wimbledon before losing 1-5 at home to Crewe in front of a crowd of 7,335.
    The club were then promoted and relegated before in 1973/74 they hit an all time low as they were relegated and the main stand was burnt down. The club also became Folkestone & Shepway.
    The following season a new stand and pavillion, with a dressing room complex, was opened and fortunes also changed on the pitch as the club again reached the First Round of the F.A Cup before losing 0-2 at Brentford. They also won the Kent Senior Cup, beating Maidstone 1-0.
    The next good season was 1982/83 when they again reached the First Round of the F.A Cup, going down 2-5 at Oxford United. They also clinched promotion by finishing second in the Division One (South) and also won the Kent Senior Cup with a 4-0 victory over local rivals Dover. Current Folkestone Invicta manager, Neil Cugley, set a scoring record for the club with 46 goals.
    In 1983/84 and 1984/85 they finished seventh in the Premier Divisioin but apart from a Kent Senior Cup win over Welling United the club was in decline which eventually led to its demise in December, 1990.
    Following the demise of the club Folkestone Invicta Football Club, which was formed in 1936 and played in local football, took over their Cheriton Road ground in early 1991. Since then a steady uplift in fortunes has been seen and last season under the managership of Neil Cugley the Club played in the Southern League for the first time having finished as runners up in the Kent League in 1997/98.
    Having narrowly missed out on promotion last season Folkestone Invicta inserted 672 new seats spelling out the club's initials in the Wilf Armory stand and re-seeded the pitch during the summer and began this term as one of the favourites to go up - a position they have more than justified.