Site hosted by Build your free website today!
Results & Fixtures Players Goalscorers Match Reports Corby's History Manager's Page
League Table News Youth Pictures Reserves Steelmen Forum
Directions Links Club info E-Mail Me Homepage Programmes

Bashley Info and History

Chairman: G. Parsons
President: K.D. Taylor
Vice Chairman: Frank Whitman
Secretary: Ray Murphy, Flat 10, Richmond
Court, 122 Richmond Park Road, Bournemouth,
Dorset BH8 8TH
Commercial Manager: Mary Whitman
Press Officer: Terry Collett
Manager: Jimmy Case
Asst Manager/Coach: Barry Blankley
Physio: Chris Lovegrove

Formed: 1947
Nickname: The Bash
Sponsors: T.B.A.
Colours: Yellow & black
Change colours: Blue & white
Midweek matchday: Tuesday
Reserves' League: Wessex Comb.
98-99 Captain: Dave Morris

Recreation Ground, Bashley, Hampshire BH25 5RY. Tel: 01425 620280
Capacity: 4,250    Cover: 1,200    Seats: 200    Floodlights: Yes
Clubhouse: Usual licensing hours. Snacks available
Club shop: Open matchdays.

Leagues: Bournemouth 50-83; Hants 83-86; Wessex 86-89

Club Records
Attendance: 3,500 v Emley, F.A. Vase S.F. 1st Leg 87-88
Win: 21-1 v Co-operative (A), Bournemouth Lge, 64
Defeat: 2-20 v Air Speed (A), Bournemouth Lge, 57
Career Goalscorer: Colin Cummings
Career Appearances: John Bone
Transfer fee paid: £7,500 for J Stagg from Andover
Transfer fee recieved: £7,500 for Darren Powell from Weymouth 95

Best Season
FA Cup: 2nd Rd Proper 1994-95, 0-1 v Swansea City
FA Vase: Semi Final 87-88, Qtr Final 88-89     FA Trophy: 2nd Round 91-92

Southern Lg Southern Division 89-90 (Lg Cup 89-90), Wessex Lg 86-87 87-88 88-89, Hants Lg Div 3 84-85, Hants Lg Combination 88-89, Russell Cotes Cup 88-89 90-91 92-93

Players Progressing
Wayne Brown (Bristol City, 1994), David Billington Peterborough 1996), Ryan Young (Plymouth 1997), Dean Higgins (Torquay, 1998), Danny Smith (Bournemouth 1998), Craig Davies (Cardiff City 1998), Tony Wallis (Cardiff City 1999).

Bashley Football Club was formed in 1947, but in the early years, they could only play friendly fixtures on the Recreation Ground as a stream and a ditch ran through the centre of the pitch! Things did improve though with the help of founder members Percy Ingrem and Bernal Whitcher. Bashley played their first recognised league fixture when they joined the Bournemouth League for season 1950/51. It proved a big move for the small village side and for the first ten years they stuggled. During this time, progress was made on a local basis, but this was to change when local businessman Trevor Adams and David Jose became involved in the running of the Club in the early 1980's. Although both were always unfailingly modest and ever anxious to spread the credit across a wide spectrum of people, it was their arrival that proved the catalyst for what has unfolded since.
In 1983 Bashley finished third in the Bournemouth League Division One and a successful application was made to join the Hampshire League. At the same time they acquired the services of the highly respected manager Trevor Parker. After a near miss in their first season, Bashley were Champions of Hampshire League Division Three in their second season and were promoted to Division Two.

The following season they finished fourth and a successful application was made to join the new Wessex League. For the first season in the Wessex League. Dave Lennard took over as manager with Chris Smith as his assistant, after Trevor Parker had left to take over at Fareham Town. Playing in the Wessex League offered an entirely new challenge, but the Club revelled in competing with the big guns, pipping R S Southampton to take the inaugral Wessex League title.

Chris Smith took over for the 1987/88 season, helping Bashley to retain the Wessex League title, but it was the Club's exploits in the F.A. Vase that put Bashley into the public eye. After starting the competition in the Extra Preliminary Round, Bashley weaved their way through to the semi finals where they met Yorkshire side Emley. The home leg attracted 3,500 to the Recreation Ground - a far cry from the days when a stream ran through the middle of the pitch!! Unfortunately Emley won through to the Final 2-1 on aggregate.

All this time improvements to facilities had been continuing steadily and when the Wessex League was handed feeder league status to the Southern League, everyone at the Club knew what the next target must be. The target was achieved the following season 1988/89. Along with another good run in the F A Vase (this time Quarter Finals were reached), Bashley won their third successive Wessex League title and were duly accepted into the Southern League.

Trevor Parker returned as manager for the assault on the Southern Division. His promotion winning expertise proved crucial. Bashley stayed around the leading pack in the League, building a perfect platform for a stunning late run of 12 wins in 14 matches that brought promotion and the Championship. Bashley's fourth Championship in four seasons. The Club also announced its arrival in the big time by reaching the semi finals of the League Cup. 1990/91 saw Bashley competing in the Premier Division of the Southern League and a fairy tale debut at reigning champions Dover, winning 1-0. Bashley finished a creditable tenth in this first season, following this with a fourth position in 1991/92 with Bashley having led the table at various stages throughout the season. Relegation was to follow after four years in the Premier Division. Injury problems and a lack of money saw Bash do a second half of season slump, one win in 19 games saw the departure of Trevor Parker as manager, with Frank Whitman taking charge.

Back in the Southern Division, the 1994/95 season became one of the most momentous in the Clubs history, reaching the F A Cup First Round proper for the first time where the Club secured a fine 1-0 away win at Chesham United. More history was made when the Second Round draw gave Bashley a home tie with League Club Swansea City. Swansea did come out on top although Bashley gave them a few scares along the way, including hitting the post in the last minute. League form was unhelped with a backlog of fixtures which saw Bashley slip down the table, although a late run of form saw them climb to a finishing position of seventh.

In the two seasons that followed there have been many changes at Bashley. In February 1996, after a poor run of results, Frank Whitman resigned to be replaced by player manager Andy Bye but after a disappointing start to the next campaign Bye was replaced by Barry Blankley. A disappointing exit from the F A Cup to Thatcham Town and mediocre form in the League added to financial worries, putting Bashley's future in doubt.

February 1997 saw an upturn in fortunes when Ray Pinney took over the role of Chariman. Jimmy Case joined the Club as first team manager. A highly successful first season in charge for Case just missing out on promotion to the Premier Division having finished third and also reached the Semi Final of the Dr. Martens' League Cup. Mr. Pinney left the Club in January 1999 and the situation from two years previous has returned. Although improved slightly, Mr. WEhitman stepped down in owing to personal problems and Mr. Pinney returned to office in January 2000.